Dirty smoke high heat

JTolbert

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I've noticed that my BFG produces quite a bit of smoke on higher heats, and kind of dirty smoke. Put some pizza on it tonight and the dough kind of got a black color not pleasant looking. My opinion is this is the grill burning of grease and residue from other cooks. Also very cold in Ohio tonight, but know that high heat should be really clean cooks. Just wanted to see others experience

Another test today running at 450 and today it's around 50 degrees still lots of smoke at that temp. Also cleaned grill grates and inside grill today also. If this was 180 or 225 I'd be stoked about the smoke but at 180 225 as stated in earlier post little to know smoke. Just still trying to learn my way with this new machine. Attached brief video of 450 today

Another test today running at 450 and today it's around 50 degrees still lots of smoke at that temp. Also cleaned grill grates and inside grill today also. If this was 180 or 225 I'd be stoked about the smoke but at 180 225 as stated in earlier post little to know smoke. Just still trying to learn my way with this new machine. Attached brief video of 450 today
Guess it won't let me post video

Thus was ricotta cheese bread from last night might be hard to see but hope you can see the grey like soot color on dough

20230204_194857.jpg

My first attempt at pizza had similar results. I now know that if I'm cranking up to the 400 - 500 range, I need to let all of the gunk from slow cooks burn off before cooking. It seemed like 20 to 30 minutes at high heat did a good job. I also made sure that my drip pan and grill rack were clean.

My first attempt at pizza had similar results. I now know that if I'm cranking up to the 400 - 500 range, I need to let all of the gunk from slow cooks burn off before cooking. It seemed like 20 to 30 minutes at high heat did a good job. I also made sure that my drip pan and grill rack were clean.
Thanks Pacman yeah I did pizza couple weeks ago it was perfect. Not sure what's up here, like I said still learning. Today part of was doing was cleaning grille with new grill rescue grill brush(awesome product btw) so I was on high heat for a while, and the smoke seemed to die down a bit after 2 cleans. And didn't smell bad from stacks. Also was burning last of bear mountain pellets. So many variables but won't know till I put dough in there again

Thanks Pacman yeah I did pizza couple weeks ago it was perfect. Not sure what's up here, like I said still learning. Today part of was doing was cleaning grille with new grill rescue grill brush(awesome product btw) so I was on high heat for a while, and the smoke seemed to die down a bit after 2 cleans. And didn't smell bad from stacks. Also was burning last of bear mountain pellets. So many variables but won't know till I put dough in there again
1675635290835.png

That's a nice brush!

I’ve been doing crumpled aluminum foil, followed by oiled paper towels. I’ve got a handful of new brushes around here somewhere, but the throw away the dirty greasy thing instead of storing it is very appealing.

Good idea, never thought about it but good foil ball might get the crud off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back