Easter Boneless Lamb - RT Style

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

Cooked a dish I had mentioned on a different site a few years ago. If I already posted on here, apologies for the repeat post, but this is really good.

For those who like lamb, and want something a little different than the rosemary/mint flavors (I love mint but hate rosemary), this one uses really deep flavors from Northern Africa, I kinda say Moroccan. I am not much of a recipe guy, so the measures are a guideline rather than a direction. However, this is one good lamb cook.

I have made this cook four or five times in the past, and did change it up a bit. In the past I set the pit at 275 for the entire cook. Today, I cooked the first hour at 225 trying to see if I get more smoke, and then finished the rest of the cook at 275. I did achieve slight more smoke, but it was also very good going at 275 for the entire cook in the past.

Tonight, I pulled at 130 with intention of 135 after the rest. I got what I wanted as temp went to 135, but will have to look at the calibration of my probes (I used the Ink Bird tonight) because the 135 was way more like 130. I am always cautious to cook lamb a little under than over, but a couple of degrees more tonight would have been good. Don't get me wrong, this was an AWESOME cook, but needed a few degrees more in the internal final cook. I will not blame it all on the Ink Bird, and this was a boneless leg that I rolled back up and tied, giving a lot of open spaces that the probe might have been in. I did use a thermopen as well. All that matters is the flavors are outstanding, and the family loves it.

If you have never tried Harissa sauce, pick up a small jar. I goes great with this dish, and many more as well.

After dinner my wife, son and daughter all went to the basement and threw a few rounds of darts to end the evening. A successful Easter Evening. I hope everyone enjoyed as well.

Here are the guidelines I used for the previous cooks:

Seasoning:
1 TBS Cumin Seeds (toasted and ground)
1 TBS Coriander Seeds (Toasted and ground)
1 TBS Ancho Chile Powder
1 TBS Light Brown Sugar
1 TSP Paprika
1 TSP Tumeric
1 TSP Cinnamon
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Fresh Ground Pepper
4 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
2 TBS Parsley (Chopped)
2 TBS Cilantro (Chopped)
1 Large Shallot (Chopped)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup EVOO (Enough to make a loose paste)

Basting Sauce:
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (You can use red wine vinegar -- I only had apple cider available)
1/3 Cup EVOO
2 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
1 TBS Parsley (Chopped)
1 TBS Cilantro (Chopped)
SP

Combine all seasoning ingredients together to make a loose paste. I took the legs of lamb out of the jet wrap and opened it up so I could rub the seasonings all over the them. I then rolled the legs back up and tied into two separate roast. (You can always leave the leg flat if you do not want to roll back and make the roast). Covered and kept in fridge over night. Took the leg out of fridge while the RT was heating up. Since it was so cold out, it did take a while to get to temp. Legs went on pit when temp hit 275 which was the cook temp for the entire cook. While the legs were on the pit, I made the basting sauce. After the first hour, basted both legs with the sauce and repeated every hour until the legs were completed. I pulled the legs when internal was 127, and wrapped on the counter until internal was 135. My cook took just over 3 hours at that temp. Sliced and served, at a beautiful medium rare. I did purchase a store bought bottle of Harissa which is traditionally served with lamb among other dishes.

Boneless Lamb.jpg
Boneless Lamb Marinated.jpg
Boneless Lamb on the Pit.jpg
Boneless Lamb after second mop.jpg
Boneless Lamb off the pit.jpg
Boneless Lamb Sliced.jpg
Boneless Lamb plated.jpg

Hi all,

Cooked a dish I had mentioned on a different site a few years ago. If I already posted on here, apologies for the repeat post, but this is really good.

For those who like lamb, and want something a little different than the rosemary/mint flavors (I love mint but hate rosemary), this one uses really deep flavors from Northern Africa, I kinda say Moroccan. I am not much of a recipe guy, so the measures are a guideline rather than a direction. However, this is one good lamb cook.

I have made this cook four or five times in the past, and did change it up a bit. In the past I set the pit at 275 for the entire cook. Today, I cooked the first hour at 225 trying to see if I get more smoke, and then finished the rest of the cook at 275. I did achieve slight more smoke, but it was also very good going at 275 for the entire cook in the past.

Tonight, I pulled at 130 with intention of 135 after the rest. I got what I wanted as temp went to 135, but will have to look at the calibration of my probes (I used the Ink Bird tonight) because the 135 was way more like 130. I am always cautious to cook lamb a little under than over, but a couple of degrees more tonight would have been good. Don't get me wrong, this was an AWESOME cook, but needed a few degrees more in the internal final cook. I will not blame it all on the Ink Bird, and this was a boneless leg that I rolled back up and tied, giving a lot of open spaces that the probe might have been in. I did use a thermopen as well. All that matters is the flavors are outstanding, and the family loves it.

If you have never tried Harissa sauce, pick up a small jar. I goes great with this dish, and many more as well.

After dinner my wife, son and daughter all went to the basement and threw a few rounds of darts to end the evening. A successful Easter Evening. I hope everyone enjoyed as well.

Here are the guidelines I used for the previous cooks:

Seasoning:
1 TBS Cumin Seeds (toasted and ground)
1 TBS Coriander Seeds (Toasted and ground)
1 TBS Ancho Chile Powder
1 TBS Light Brown Sugar
1 TSP Paprika
1 TSP Tumeric
1 TSP Cinnamon
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Fresh Ground Pepper
4 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
2 TBS Parsley (Chopped)
2 TBS Cilantro (Chopped)
1 Large Shallot (Chopped)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup EVOO (Enough to make a loose paste)

Basting Sauce:
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (You can use red wine vinegar -- I only had apple cider available)
1/3 Cup EVOO
2 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
1 TBS Parsley (Chopped)
1 TBS Cilantro (Chopped)
SP

Combine all seasoning ingredients together to make a loose paste. I took the legs of lamb out of the jet wrap and opened it up so I could rub the seasonings all over the them. I then rolled the legs back up and tied into two separate roast. (You can always leave the leg flat if you do not want to roll back and make the roast). Covered and kept in fridge over night. Took the leg out of fridge while the RT was heating up. Since it was so cold out, it did take a while to get to temp. Legs went on pit when temp hit 275 which was the cook temp for the entire cook. While the legs were on the pit, I made the basting sauce. After the first hour, basted both legs with the sauce and repeated every hour until the legs were completed. I pulled the legs when internal was 127, and wrapped on the counter until internal was 135. My cook took just over 3 hours at that temp. Sliced and served, at a beautiful medium rare. I did purchase a store bought bottle of Harissa which is traditionally served with lamb among other dishes.
Looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm guessing leg of lamb will be on sale now that Easter has past. Its like corned beef, 1/2 price after St Patty's day.??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back