Bullseye Excessive smoke on bullseye

Fkaugusta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Just bought a new B380. No problem with burn-in but getting excessive smoke not only during startup but at 225. My last bullseye would smoke a little at 225 but nothing like this one. Fills up my patio and almost my backyard! Sent a video to Recteq and they said that was normal. Changed pellets, no ash in fire pot with no help. Even too much smoke at higher temperatures.
Any suggestions? Thanks

It sounds like you aren’t getting complete combustion. It could be bad pellets, could be your minimum feed rate is putting more pellets in the pot than it can burn and maintain the temp you are looking for. Could be the fan isn’t working properly so it doesn’t have the oxygen it needs for good combustion.

Does it hold temperature OK just too much smoke? What is the ambient temperature where you are cooking? You might want to take your grate and heat deflector out and let it run a little. When the heavy smoke starts open it up and see what is going on.

It sounds like you aren’t getting complete combustion. It could be bad pellets, could be your minimum feed rate is putting more pellets in the pot than it can burn and maintain the temp you are looking for. Could be the fan isn’t working properly so it doesn’t have the oxygen it needs for good combustion.

Does it hold temperature OK just too much smoke? What is the ambient temperature where you are cooking? You might want to take your grate and heat deflector out and let it run a little. When the heavy smoke starts open it up and see what is going on.
Thanks. I’m using a new bag of Recteq pellets. Ambient temperature here is around 90 plus. Not seeing anything in the fire pot except a very few ashes. (Complete burn?)
Actually spent 6 hours with support over two days and finally thought he found the correct setting on the controller. Decided to put it through its paces today.Set temp to 225. Lots of smoke then went to 270 back down to 334 and held there. 😏. Decided to increase to 325. Temp went through 325 up to 370! Came back down to 267 and stayed there until I just shut it down still smoking like crazy! Definitely something wrong! Luckily I live within 10 miles of Evans Ga. They did offer to check it out at their headquarters so think I’ll just take em’ up on that offer. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. I’m using a new bag of Recteq pellets. Ambient temperature here is around 90 plus. Not seeing anything in the fire pot except a very few ashes. (Complete burn?)
Actually spent 6 hours with support over two days and finally thought he found the correct setting on the controller. Decided to put it through its paces today.Set temp to 225. Lots of smoke then went to 270 back down to 334 and held there. 😏. Decided to increase to 325. Temp went through 325 up to 370! Came back down to 267 and stayed there until I just shut it down still smoking like crazy! Definitely something wrong! Luckily I live within 10 miles of Evans Ga. They did offer to check it out at their headquarters so think I’ll just take em’ up on that offer. Thanks for the reply.
Oops, held at 234, typo

That’s great that you are that close. Hopefully they get it figured out for you. Make sure you let us know what they find.

The ignition rod is on a cycle where it is only energized to start the fire and then shuts down. In the event that your ignition rod fails, you can light the fire pot with a propane torch, butane fireplace lighter, or anything else that will get it going. So, it shouldn't come into play during the cooking cycle. After the start of the fire, it's just air flow and pellet feed rate.

The ignition rod is on a cycle where it is only energized to start the fire and then shuts down. In the event that your ignition rod fails, you can light the fire pot with a propane torch, butane fireplace lighter, or anything else that will get it going. So, it shouldn't come into play during the cooking cycle. After the start of the fire, it's just air flow and pellet feed rate.
Thanks! I’m hoping ignition rod failure could be the problem. I’m sure that can be addressed when I take the grill back to Recteq headquarters tomorrow. I will mention that to them, can’t hurt. This bullseye was purchased only two weeks ago and I live just ten miles from Evans. So far they have been very helpful in trying to solve the problem via phone but without success.
I’ll keep y’all informed. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks! I’m hoping ignition rod failure could be the problem. I’m sure that can be addressed when I take the grill back to Recteq headquarters tomorrow. I will mention that to them, can’t hurt. This bullseye was purchased only two weeks ago and I live just ten miles from Evans. So far they have been very helpful in trying to solve the problem via phone but without success.
I’ll keep y’all informed. Thanks for the reply.
Also, maybe I failed to mention there are other major problems such as the controller failing to maintain constant temperature. Varies up to 80 degrees in both directions.
😏

Have you ever started it with the rack and drip pan out so you can see the firepot? Mine would get a lot of pellets in the pot before ignition so I put the igniter about an eighth inch farter into the pot. Less than 9 minutes from off to 425 and it holds temp well

I love my 380 but I also have lots of smoke at temperatures like 400° where my 700 would be just pure heat. I can’t remember if my screwed around with my feed rate when I first got mine. But I think I did. Can one of y’all tell me what your feed rates are? I’m here in Arkansas and it’s in the 90s most days.

I love my 380 but I also have lots of smoke at temperatures like 400° where my 700 would be just pure heat. I can’t remember if my screwed around with my feed rate when I first got mine. But I think I did. Can one of y’all tell me what your feed rates are? I’m here in Arkansas and it’s in the 90s most days.
Since no one has responded yet. It might be helpful to approach this from a question: what is your understanding of what changing the feed rate up or down does?

Since no one has responded yet. It might be helpful to approach this from a question: what is your understanding of what changing the feed rate up or down does?
That's a great question. I thought I knew, but the more I think about it, I really don't. Looking forward to learning more.

Me too also. Feed rate is still confusing for me.
The feed rate sets the minimum number of seconds the auger turns to feed pellets into the fire pot. It only affects the minimum temperature the grill can run without the fire going out. If it is set too low you will not have enough pellets being feed to keep the fire going. If you set it too high you will not be able to maintain a lower temperature, like 200 degree for example, since it will be dumping too many pellets each time the auger is turned on. It has NOTHING to do with how hot your grill can get.

The feed rate sets the minimum number of seconds the auger turns to feed pellets into the fire pot. It only affects the minimum temperature the grill can run without the fire going out. If it is set too low you will not have enough pellets being feed to keep the fire going. If you set it too high you will not be able to maintain a lower temperature, like 200 degree for example, since it will be dumping too many pellets each time the auger is turned on. It has NOTHING to do with how hot your grill can get.
Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back