Pork First attempt at making our own bacon.

Hey, much appreciated. I saw somewhere to mix the sugar, pink cure and salt in big batches so its ready to use whenever. Any advantage? The pork bellies i used were really thick at one end, thin at the ores. I split them. Maybe the thicker ones cure longer? ??

I updated my post up top. #1 was .25%
I thought about mixing up a batch of salt, cure, and sugar. Never got around to it. I like making what I need each time.
The thick end should be done in 7 days. I did a split batch one time to see if time made any difference. One half went 7 days, other went 14 days. Rinsed, smoked, and processed out the same. We could not tell any different at all. 7 days minimum is how I go now. If it's convenient to go 10, hey man, it's 10 days, bacon turns out great. Very easy once you get your process dialed in .

I updated my post up top. #1 was .25%
I thought about mixing up a batch of salt, cure, and sugar. Never got around to it. I like making what I need each time.
The thick end should be done in 7 days. I did a split batch one time to see if time made any difference. One half went 7 days, other went 14 days. Rinsed, smoked, and processed out the same. We could not tell any different at all. 7 days minimum is how I go now. If it's convenient to go 10, hey man, it's 10 days, bacon turns out great. Very easy once you get your process dialed in .
Really excited about this first trial. I logged how much of everything I used so I can adjust if necessary. I guess BBQ is all about waiting. Waiting for the bull to arrive, waiting for brisket to finish, waiting for pork belly to cure. All good. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back