Bull First brisket cook on the 700

derocknc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just got done with my first cook/eat/cleanup of a brisket and I'm very satisfied with the results, even though I made a few mistakes. It honesty seems like they didnt cost me with the end result I got. I followed some videos I've been watching on youtube. It was a 13.5lb prime brisket from Costco. Got it for $3.99/lb which was great compared to the $11.99/lb at the butcher ($$$!). It looked great but there was a really thick fat layer that ran vertically between the flat and point. I had only seen it be that way horizontally in videos so I was a bit thrown off on what to do. I trimmed it out but that made the brisket pretty non-aerodynamic. So that was my first mistake, and then because I was putting it on at midnight I was tired so I also forgot to add a coat of mustard or olive oil before I put the rub on.

The rub I went with was 70/30 Meat Church Holy Cow/Holy Gospel. Set the RT to 225 and put on around 1:00am. Right around 9:00am I pulled out the butcher paper and went out to check the temps. Interestingly, the point was around 175 and the flat was 155. I chalked this up to the trimming issue I had since it left the point more exposed, I think. I brushed some melted wagyu beef tallow on the butcher paper, wrapped it and put it back on. Admittedly, my wrap was a bit loose and I probably should have double wrapped it. Thankfully the temps on the probes started to get closer to one another and they stalled out around 170 for the point, 167 for the flat for what seemed like my whole work day. At a certain point the flat actually moved past the point as far as temp which concerned me a bit. It was right around the high 190s where it passed and then the point didnt increase in temp for a bit. Once they were at 198 and 200 respectively, I became impatient because it was 6:15pm and cranked it to 235 and they finished maybe 20 mins later at 203 and 205.

I let is rest in the cooler with a towel wrapped around for 2 hours and then cut right in. It was so good and the point was juicy and delicious, not dried out. I will say, they say you should be able to put your fork into it like butter and that was not the case for me but I feel like maybe thats because the bark was very hard on the outside? Either way, I was really happy with the amount of smoke flavor and how it turned out in general. Maybe a very seasoned pitmaster might find some flaws but if it only goes up from here thats great news for me.

Apologies for the potato quality of my pics. I literally had to use my Macbook as my camera app on my phone is crashing. Wish I could have gotten better ones.

Edit: I forgot to mention I used the RT Ultimate Blend that I bought along with the smoker. Love the fact that I have no worry that I might need to refill them.

Attachments

• justtheflat.jpg
    justtheflat.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 193
  • burntends.jpg
    burntends.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 165
  • wholearea.jpg
    wholearea.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
That looks awesome, great job. As for the thick fat, I will leave it there as it will render out during the cook. When the cook is finished, I will separate the flat and the point at that fat line and make burnt ends with the point and serve the flat for the meal. Everyone does it differently but that is how I do my briskets and it gives two different flavors with one cook and is a crowd favorite.

Nice job!

The first one is a nail biter. After that they get fun. I used to split the point from the flat and trim out the fat. Lately, I leave it all together and slice a big thick piece with both the flat and point and the fat. You can eat the fat or trim it out on the plate. But it keeps it more moist for serving. I also leave a 1/4" of the fat cap. It gives a really nice flavor.

Last edited:
It looked great but there was a really thick fat layer that ran vertically between the flat and point. I had only seen it be that way horizontally in videos so I was a bit thrown off on what to do. I trimmed it out but that made the brisket pretty non-aerodynamic. So that was my first mistake .....
Sounds like you made the best of it
Looks GREAT 🤗
We bought one from Costco a week or so ago and ours was very similar .... maybe worse :mad:
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/costco-prime-brisket-3-99lb.5327/#post-68554

Ah, that sucks. It does make me wonder what lets them qualify a brisket as 'prime' but being that they're 3x less expensive than the competition I can complain too much. Sounds like the one you grab was worse. This one probably would have been fine if I left it alone but the layer of fat was like 2.5 inches and running vertically so I thought it was just a thin layer on top until I kept getting further and further, haha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back