Bull First Brisket

Nikeguy53

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Going to smoke one this weekend on the 700. How long should it take to get it done if l want to have it for dinner on Sunday?

I start at 180-200 for two or three hours then bump to 225 at least until the wrap. My after wrap temp depends on what temp of the meat is and when I want to be done. I usually bump it up to 250-275 because I’m not going to get any more smoke on it.

Franklin and other stick burners can get all the smoke they want at 275. Not so much on a pellet smoker. If you don’t miss the smoke then 250-275 can work for you. I prefer more smoke flavor than that.

Aaron Franklin smokes brisket at 250/ 275, seems to work well for him. LOL
But he does mention he’s working against time with the restaurant and cooks higher.
But,you can’t argue with success.

Most of the restaurants smoke their meats at 275° or higher. Talking about brisket here, but they (again, most of them) also don’t remove the membrane off of ribs as, for the most part, cooking at the higher temps take care of that for them.

This probably goes with out saying (but that has never stopped me before! :))…

It should be noted that there is a lot of interdependency between all the variables of a particular cooking process. Like @Greg Jones noted above, removing the membrane is less important IF you cook at higher temps. We all have to be careful taking a particular technique or setting from one chef’s process and combining it with another chef’s technique unless we understand “why” each of those techniques/settings worked in the overall process in which they were used.

I took some golf lessons once and the instructor was adamant about me doing exactly what HE said and ignoring other sources of instruction like from friends or YouTube. He said each element (where to place the ball in my stance, what angle to draw the club back, where my hands should be at the top of my backswing, etc,) of the system he was teaching me worked together. The same goes for what we do here.

I enjoy the ambiguity associated with the OP’s request. However, we should apply an abundance of patience as we were all in his place at some point in our lives. The short and most direct answer is you cook it until it is jiggly and probes tender at the point and flat (assuming this is a whole packer). The challenge will be all the steps that are necessary to get to that point. OP, if you search this site you will see a bunch of great tips as each protein has its own profile for time, temperature (typically 225-250F), prep methods, injections, clearance of the stall, and other factors. As requested in earlier posts, the more details you can provide, the better details we can offer.

I am smoking my first brisket, cooked overnight at 225 degrees (started at 11pm) but its so hot here I lowered it to 220 degrees and kept going until the brisket was at 190 degrees. Then wrapped at 10:30am (foil, didn't have any butcher paper) and kept going until the brisket hit 203 degrees (about 10:30 to 11 am). We're hoping to eat at 4pm so kept in the foil and put in my RTEC cooler. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am smoking my first brisket, cooked overnight at 225 degrees (started at 11pm) but its so hot here I lowered it to 220 degrees and kept going until the brisket was at 190 degrees. Then wrapped at 10:30am (foil, didn't have any butcher paper) and kept going until the brisket hit 203 degrees (about 10:30 to 11 am). We're hoping to eat at 4pm so kept in the foil and put in my RTEC cooler. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sounds like you did everything right. Let us know how it turned out and don’t forget a couple of pictures!

I agree w/ Waterboy.

I have started using 180F (beginning at start up) w/ two smoke tubes for ~ 4hrs, then bump to 225 until 160-165 or so then wrap w/ pink butcher paper then 235 until done.

My last one was an Angus beef (choice?) from Costco trimmed to about 13.5 and took about 13 hrs.

I have also started putting my briskets on a "shelf" about 3.5" above the RT590 grate which gets the bottom of the brisket away from the radiant heat at the grate and allows for good circulation all the way around the dead cow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back