First burn

Jerry Doggett

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I started my B380 this morning and it ran for about 25 minutes and didn't get above 68 F. It started at 55 so something was happening. Then it started billowing smoke at a ridiculous rate but the temp still didn't move. I wound up shutting it down. Is this normal?

I’m gonna say no. I’ve got an RT1250 so yours maybe different.

I think you were on your way to your first “puff”.

It isn’t normal. Did you prime the pot and run the auger to make sure it was full of pellets? It sounds like it didn’t have the proper fuel and heat mixture for a normal ignition. My guess is if you open the lid and start it up again it’ll start. It may smoke a bunch until the pellets in the pot get burned and the feed normalizes. If it happens again you’ll probably need to look at feed rate, igniter position, maybe try different pellets to make sure you didn’t get a bag with too much moisture, or possibly a bad controller.

It isn’t normal. Did you prime the pot and run the auger to make sure it was full of pellets? It sounds like it didn’t have the proper fuel and heat mixture for a normal ignition. My guess is if you open the lid and start it up again it’ll start. It may smoke a bunch until the pellets in the pot get burned and the feed normalizes. If it happens again you’ll probably need to look at feed rate, igniter position, maybe try different pellets to make sure you didn’t get a bag with too much moisture, or possibly a bad controller.
Thanks. My issue is that I live in a condo building and can't have it smoking that much for more than a few minutes. I'm going to take it somewhere else and see if I can figure it out without getting fined by the condo association 😃

Thanks. My issue is that I live in a condo building and can't have it smoking that much for more than a few minutes. I'm going to take it somewhere else and see if I can figure it out without getting fined by the condo association 😃
I think you will be selling or returning your grill soon. These pellet grills make smoke, because they burn wood pellets. Just for reference, the wife and I recently bought a new home. The number one criteria I had about home shopping was that it could not have an HOA that could regulate chit like this. My advice, get rid of the recteq, go back to a gasser, and hope that politicians don’t say you can have one of those also.

@Greg Jones is right! Sadly, if you have a HOA that regulates “smoke,” a wood-pellet-burning grill is not for you. They are supposed to smoke; it is the nature of the beast. If smoke from a grill is a problem for the HOA, using a pellet grill will be a headache for you. Sorry to say that.

HOAs can kiss my butt. I would never want to be under their thumb when it comes to my property....

HOAs can kiss my butt. I would never want to be under their thumb when it comes to my property....

They had a purpose at one time, but now overall it's a hypocritical poorly run and mandatory financed nuisance. Things that get enforced and others that don't, just doesn't sit well with me. I understand the no grills at certain condo associations, as one out of control fire can destroy more dwellings than where it originated from.

Hello,

I have just purchased the RT1000 "The Beast" and this is quoted from the user manual:
Operating Your Grill
Power Button:
DO NOT MANUALLY FILL YOUR FIREPOT WITH PELLETS.
As that applies to the RT1000, check your user manual.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back