Stampede First Cook

Chad E.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just started my first cook. Decided to start easy with some dry rub chicken wings and a couple of chicken breasts. Let’s see how this turns out.

Attachments

• 38F8A54C-1637-4265-BD93-C2819606AA83.jpeg
    38F8A54C-1637-4265-BD93-C2819606AA83.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
Just started my first cook. Decided to start easy with some dry rub chicken wings and a couple of chicken breasts. Let’s see how this turns out.
For chicken cook them at a higher temperature, 250 to start 400 ish to finish otherwise the skin will be rubbery and chewy.

For chicken cook them at a higher temperature, 250 to start 400 ish to finish otherwise the skin will be rubbery and chewy.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve been reading the posts and I’m starting them at 250. Once they’re up to temp I’m going to crank the heat to 450, maybe hotter, to crisp them up.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been reading the posts and I’m starting them at 250. Once they’re up to temp I’m going to crank the heat to 450, maybe hotter, to crisp them up.
The high heat finish will definitely crisp them up but just watch them 165 to 170 internal temperature is what I start pulling them off the grill at. Put the bigger stuff like drumettes and breasts on the right rear area of the grill as it tends to be a little hotter wings anywhere else.

The high heat finish will definitely crisp them up but just watch them 165 to 170 internal temperature is what I start pulling them off the grill at. Put the bigger stuff like drumettes and breasts on the right rear area of the grill as it tends to be a little hotter wings anywhere else.
I must have read your mind before you posted because that’s exactly where I put them!

As easy as chicken seems, it a weird balance between temp (165) and crisp skin. Too hot, dry chicken, not hot enough, rubbery skin. Takes a little practice. ??

We cook more chicken than anything else here.......the workhorse of American grilling! I grill all my chicken in my Bull at no less than 425deg F. which produces a decent semi-crispy skin as best you can get with indirect heat cooking that is. The only drawback is the hotter you cook, the less smoke presence you get. Which for some is a concern, when I'm looking for more smoke I'll put the chicken in at 180deg F. on Extreme Smoke for one hour then crank it up to 425deg F. You could remove the chicken while preheating to the higher temp. if your'e inclined but I don't because I'm a lazy BBQ'er. As mentioned above, there's definite hot spots on the Bull, mine is the back half of the right grill as your'e looking at it and the left grill is pretty much cooler than anywhere else.

As easy as chicken seems, it a weird balance between temp (165) and crisp skin. Too hot, dry chicken, not hot enough, rubbery skin. Takes a little practice. ??
Definitely needs some work. They were juicy and had great flavor but the skin wasn’t crispy. I was cooking some breast as well (roommate doesn’t like meat on a bone), and was worried about overcooking them. I should have pulled them and left the wings on at 450 for longer. That’s they fun in this though, learning.

We cook more chicken than anything else here.......the workhorse of American grilling! I grill all my chicken in my Bull at no less than 425deg F. which produces a decent semi-crispy skin as best you can get with indirect heat cooking that is. The only drawback is the hotter you cook, the less smoke presence you get. Which for some is a concern, when I'm looking for more smoke I'll put the chicken in at 180deg F. on Extreme Smoke for one hour then crank it up to 425deg F. You could remove the chicken while preheating to the higher temp. if your'e inclined but I don't because I'm a lazy BBQ'er. As mentioned above, there's definite hot spots on the Bull, mine is the back half of the right grill as your'e looking at it and the left grill is pretty much cooler than anywhere else.
Thanks for the tips. I may have to try extreme smoke like you suggested and then crank it. I’m a bit of lazy BBQer as well and I’m kicking my self for not throwing them on the gassed to finish them off. Cook and learn.

Definitely needs some work. They were juicy and had great flavor but the skin wasn’t crispy. I was cooking some breast as well (roommate doesn’t like meat on a bone), and was worried about overcooking them. I should have pulled them and left the wings on at 450 for longer. That’s they fun in this though, learning.
You said it. Each time different. Keeps it
exciting. . ??

I wanted wings today. Picked some up from the grocery and did them on the gasser. I got that down pat...still perfecting wings on the smoker. Practice makes perfect...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back