RT-1250 First Cook

RedT

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
New to pellet smokers, assembled my new RT-1250 yesterday, did the initial burn this morning and decided to cook chicken for dinner. Rubbed with Meat Church The Gospel and set the grill to 350℉. After preheat, put 4 chicken breasts and one thigh/leg on the grill. 30 minutes later chicken looked a sickly white, so bumped temperature to 400℉. An hour later the meat probed at 130℉, still looking sickly. Loaded my Weber Kettle with charcoal and transferred chicken. Thanks for the Weber! Crispy, tender, smoky chicken probed at 180℉ in short order.

Will no doubt try brisket or maybe a pork butt on my next attempt. My goal was to also smoke sausage on the 1250, but I'm now in doubt. Maybe low-and-slow is what the pellet grill is for, but for grilling I'll stick with my Weber.

Something doesn’t add up.
Not to be rude but I must ask, Was the lid closed?

Yes sir, lid was closed. I noticed no smoke at all, but I understand pellets just don't smoke that much. The grill indicated the set temperature, and when I set it to 400℉, the pit temperature climbed steadily.

Red, sorry you had that experience, definitely not a representation of what your grill is capable of.
Call support, they are first class and will run you through some tests to get you on your way soon !

Have cooked a long time on the Weber WSM and my Weber Performer, so will continue to use for grilling. Will try the pellet grill for Low-Slow cooks. Don't think there is anything wrong with the RT, it's just not a grill.

Something is 100% off. At 400 the chicken should have been done in 45 minutes. Check your temp with a different thermometer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back