Stampede First Pellet Grill - Shopping List

crashvt2003

I'm going to be buying the 590 in the next couple of weeks, and I've been trying to put together a shopping list of all the other items that I'll need to buy to go along with it. I have only ever used a gas grill in the past, so I don't have a lot of the typical supplies. Here's what I've come up with so far, but I'd love to get your feedback on anything else I should consider.

- Heat-resistant gloves
- Shopvac for cleaning
- Heavy duty wide aluminum foil
- Pellets
- Mesh cooking mats
- Grill pad to keep the driveway clean

Thanks!

I'm going to be buying the 590 in the next couple of weeks, and I've been trying to put together a shopping list of all the other items that I'll need to buy to go along with it. I have only ever used a gas grill in the past, so I don't have a lot of the typical supplies. Here's what I've come up with so far, but I'd love to get your feedback on anything else I should consider.

- Heat-resistant gloves
- Shopvac for cleaning
- Pellets
- Mesh cooking mats

Thanks!
Nice list but personally I would scratch the grill pad for the drive way, the grills are house broken at birth.
Aluminum foil I don't foil the drip pan anymore, I did one time bet just scrape the drip pan as necessary. The foil comes in handy for other things.
Shopvac is a must for every home owner but not a necessity for these grills
Gloves any pot holder or mitt works great you shouldn't be going into the grill much as it's cooking, let it do it's thing.
Mesh cooking matts do come in handy
Pellets are a must but cheap cooking pellets work just in these grills.

As long as you don't forget to hang up the grease bucket o_O, you shouldn't need a pad. I like to foil the drip pan. I think it just makes an easier clean up. Try wrapping at first, then smoke some without wrapping and see what you like best. After all, it's your smoker. There's a ton of good info on this site. Play around with it all and see what works best for you. Then come back and tell us what you think.

Mine were within 2 degrees F of my known to be accurate Thermapen. I now have them to within 1F. Would have to say not that bad for stock probes.

The probes on my Bull have been pretty accurate, but it is good to have a instant thermo to check to confirm and compare.

A good list will vary depending on how you choose to do the outdoor cook thing. If you don't have a Thermoworks Thermapen instant read thermometer then you might be right to question how good yours is. The guys above hit that nail square, the most important tool to start with.

A little discussion about the floor mat thing. While the device is pretty disciplined about not leaving droppings, the operator may not be. Loading/unloading, or doing things during the cook like spritzing or whatever voodoo you do, having the mat might be useful. I went with a 4 x 6 industrial door mat, very durable, comfy and effective, and large enough to be actually useful. As a bonus, since you'll be out in your driveway, neighbors going bye will see you as a true professional with all the accoutrements.

Depending on your usage and storage capabilities a vessel for storing pellets in an air tight/weather tight container could be handy. Many will tout the ubiquitous lidded 5 gal pail, which is fine though a bit smallish (which does make it easier to handle, but....). I like the Gamma 2 bins (40# size). They hold lots, with a large scooper will be easy to transfer smaller amounts of pellets for topping, and work well. They're $35 on Amazon, but Sam's Club sell them in the pet food aisle for $25. And again, the neighbors will go ooooooh, ahhhhhhh. ;)

The 590 probes are pretty close, I had to calibrate one according to my tested inkbird. I use both. Better safe than sorry...

Thanks for all of the feedback. I’m going to have to check my thermometer to see how it compares to the built-in, and maybe get a Thermapen.

I did just order some LJ Competition Blend and 100% Apple from Dick’s, and planning on starting with the competition blend. Also going to pickup some 100% Hickory at the local store.

- Heat-resistant gloves
- Shopvac for cleaning
- Pellets
- Mesh cooking mats

Thanks!
The grill pad is only needed for drips/messes...the grill is made to not need one...but I like having mine. The shopvac is the right idea for cleaning out ash, etc. I use foil on my drip pan, but many don't. Definitely need the instant read thermometer for ribs since the built-ins will be too close to the bone for a good reading. Consider the sear kit...not a necessity, but great for presentation. Consider the cover, as well, if it will go a while outside between cooks. Consider some long tongs, if you don't already have some. The additional shelf comes in real handy for the 4th and 5th rack of ribs, sides, veggies, etc. It all adds up, so you may want to buy some of it piece by piece, but then you miss the 20% discount on the add-ons at the time of purchase.

Congratulations! Depending on your cooking and consumption habits a vac sealer may be quite useful.
Absolutely, I vacuum seal BBQ all the time. Its really nice to be able to save your leftovers (if any ?) to pull out for a quick easy meal.

A good, high end instant read thermometer. Like this:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Or, the best one you can afford. I have the Mk4 Thermapen and it's awesome....especially for high temp grilling, like steaks, etc. When an extra minute or two is not desirable.

Lastly, practice, practice and more practice makes perfect. Follow your own road and remember theres tons of different ways to 'Q. Whatever you like is THE right way.

Absolutely, I vacuum seal BBQ all the time. Its really nice to be able to save your leftovers (if any ?) to pull out for a quick easy meal.
A good vacuum sealer is the best for keeping things fresh.
Lastly, practice, practice and more practice makes perfect. Follow your own road and remember theres tons of different ways to 'Q. Whatever you like is THE right way.
Practice, practice and more practice well it will come in time and I don't think there is a thing as bad Q.

I recently purchased the 700 and went through the same thought process of "what do I need/want day one" of owning this thing. most of these have already been mentioned, but a list is a list.

Thermopen and stay in thermometers are great...the rec tec probes are fine and they do the job, but there are tons that are better...at times I will do several different types of meat and it is nice to have the option of 4 or 5 probes.

Boning and Slicing knife...I used the chef knife I had in the block, but the bend/flex of a decent boning knife as well as a good carving/slicing knife really does help trim before and make nice slices after the cook.

Pellets...obviously. I tried a few different ones. Pit Boss, Rec-Tec, BEar Mountian, Traeger...the ones I prefer are Lumber Jack. I can typically order them through Dick's. A few mention Bins to keep the pellets, super useful and neat and tidy.

Beer...long cook, when you are expecting it to be done after 12 hours and it isn't, you want to be able to grab another beer to wait it out.

Large Cutting board...go with end grain, your knives will thank you. Also, look for one that has a "juice channel/groove".

Other things to consider...

A vacuum sealer is a great way to save those leftovers, you can toss them in a pot, meat them up and they maintain that juicy goodness. I have a few shop vacs, but I also bought one just to extract the pellets to change flavors...I don't use it to clean, only for pellet extraction. High heat gloves are great, but I have just used two tongs in a pinch. Food grade sprayer for when you want to spray the meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back