Getting the timing right for a party... (Long smoke tricks and tips)

Wooster

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I want to take Carolina style pulled pork to a party this Saturday night at six. To be safe, I'm going to start a 9-10 pound butt at midnight the night before at 225°. Is that too early? I'm seeing videos with people saying a 9-10 pounder took them 14 hours. I'm planning on not foiling/papering... (but I'm open to suggestions)... That would get me to 2:00 Saturday afternoon (Pull at 195 internal temp). Ray says wrap and towel it for up to 4 hours... That would get me to 6. Good plan?

What are some tips you might have for getting the timing right on long smokes like brisket or pulled pork?

The last 9ish pound butt I did at 235 took 16 hours nekkid (I prefer not to wrap so that deeper bark forms because peeps luv dat). Each piece of meat seems to have it's own mind and time to cook so that's a guideline. Holding over in a cooler/Cambro wrapped (whole, not shredded) generally helps the succulence.

I agree with Bob. If your going to cook one that size you should start at 9-10 pm the night before. Smoked a butt the same size and same temp, started at 1015pm the day before and was barely done by 430pm the next day...

If it's done sooner just hold it over in faux chamber wrapped in a beach towel. If you need to heat up a some when you get to the party just toss into the oven on the low temp mixed some of your Carolina sauce into the meat to just make sure it stays juice...

OK I'll put the rub on Thursday night, wrap in plastic wrap and then Friday set it out at 7:30. 225° at 9:00 and see what it's like in the morning... Thanks guys!

I always start larger pork butts about 9-10 at night. I did three on Friday night, one finished around 8 am, the other two around 12. Each cut of meat is going to cook different but all three were great and tasted about the same.Make sure you have enough time to rest. Even if you rest it and end up having to reheat, it's better than not having enough time to rest.

What's the longest possible rest (before pulling)time? Ray says 4 hours...

I always start larger pork butts about 9-10 at night. I did three on Friday night, one finished around 8 am, the other two around 12. Each cut of meat is going to cook different but all three were great and tasted about the same.Make sure you have enough time to rest. Even if you rest it and end up having to reheat, it's better than not having enough time to rest.

At 225?

What's the longest possible rest (before pulling)time? Ray says 4 hours...

That's a reasonable and accepted guideline, but guideline is meaningful. It will depend in part on your storage vessel. The objective, as with much of cooking, isn't time but rather temperature. Food safety guidelines say internal temperature of the product should remain above 130 degrees (hopefully you've got a good instant read thermometer). If your storage box is poor for heat retention then 4 hours could be too long, and the inverse is also true. Great heat retention and you may be able to go longer. All of this takes juggling so if the meat cools too much you can reheat after pulling for service to your guests. If you wrapped it in foil when you put in in the holding box you should have some liquid reserved in there to add to the pan for reheating, otherwise add chicken stock or beef stock depending on the meat.

I don't think there's a magic rest number @Wooster . I see most saying 30mins - 4 hrs. And as others have stated after you let it rest, you can always reheat it in the oven without worrying about anything happening to it.
The biggest unpredictable is going to be your "stall" time. Also as stated already, same weight butts still cook differently. Personally,I'd start your 9lb 12 hours before you want your rest time to start. If you get done early you can rest longer and reheat, if you get done later, you can rest less (2hrs?) And if needed still reheat. I'd worry more about how everyone at the party is going to want you to do this all the time after they eat your great pulled pork!....goodluck post pics.

I don't think there's a magic rest number @Wooster . I see most saying 30mins - 4 hrs. And as others have stated after you let it rest, you can always reheat it in the oven without worrying about anything happening to it.
The biggest unpredictable is going to be your "stall" time. Also as stated already, same weight butts still cook differently. Personally,I'd start your 9lb 12 hours before you want your rest time to start. If you get done early you can rest longer and reheat, if you get done later, you can rest less (2hrs?) And if needed still reheat. I'd worry more about how everyone at the party is going to want you to do this all the time after they eat your great pulled pork!....goodluck post pics.
Haha they sure are going to want more... I'm the neighborhood meat smoker! I'll start at 9:30pm just to be safe and then reheat ahead of time if need be...

OK I'll put the rub on Thursday night, wrap in plastic wrap and then Friday set it out at 7:30. 225° at 9:00 and see what it's like in the morning... Thanks guys!

Sounds like you've got enough information to go to battle now... You'll be fine and itll be a success. Keep a log of smoke. That'll help you for your next smoke of that size butt..

Keep us posted on how it comes out...I am sure the pics will make me want to eat my phone...haha...

And I don't. It's a matter of preference thing that experimentation will be the only way you'll know if which outcome is what you prefer. BTW, without pictures it didn't happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin'...……….. ;)

I don't water pan, using a stick burner I would, but i've never used one for a Kamado or Pellet.

I think i read somewhere that it doesn't really add anything and if anything statistically it would just make the smoke take longer than it would have otherwise. I think because water boils at 212 so you'd just be boiling the water Steaming the meat at first then the water would eventually disappear and then the smoke would actually start.

Who knows, too much time reading meat smoking forums.

Stick burner yes.
Pellet smoker No.
I've read it extends cook time in the pellet cookers, and it was my experience that it was true. The tenderness is still there on the Inside. But again, it's all your personal preference, not ours*

Got them rubbed up and on the smoker last night at 7:00pm. Started off at 200 degrees for a couple hours to slow things down, then up to 225. One is at 164 and the other at 170 this morning at 7:27... Not going to wrap so as to get good bark. Thinking I'll pull at 197 or so since they'll be in the cooler for a long time and hopefully they'll come up a little in temp. I haven't spritzed at all either. They look nice and moist with a good start to the bark. Hoping to stretch it out till at least noon.

I have a roaster that I'll put it in to keep warm at the party. What temp should I put the roaster at?

Also, Neither one has moved in temp for the last 10 minutes. 164 and 170... must be in the stall haha...
IMG_3607.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew550
Back