Going to give ribs another go

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've got a rack of pork loin back ribs and I'm looking for a simple way to cook them this time. I've done the 3-2-1 method with mixed results and am curious on what others have tried with good success.

I'm thinking rubbing the rack down with mustard, covering with Holy Cow rub from Meat Church and then letting them smoke at 225 until done.

What do you guys think?

That is how I would attack them. If you sauce your ribs, I sauce the last 30 minutes or so. But that is all personal preference.
I'm thinking about going dry (or dry-ish if someone says I need to spray them during cooking) and then doing sauce on the side.

I cook ribs the easy way. Rub them up with a yellow mustard binder and toss them on at 235. No spritz on spares, light spritz after 2-3 hours for baby backs. Sauce or not at the end as desired. That’s it. They’re done when they’re done. About 6 hrs +/- I use the probe and bend tests to tell when done. Works every time.

Attachments

• EDA320E4-854E-4110-B898-BFF943A0FAD2.jpeg
    EDA320E4-854E-4110-B898-BFF943A0FAD2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 8FCE8035-5F04-4F9A-B81F-DCF0576E6B73.jpeg
    8FCE8035-5F04-4F9A-B81F-DCF0576E6B73.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
Mike, I ran spares this way too. I did 225 for about 6 hours. I did a few spritzes after 2 hours and hourly thereafter. Not sure if I needed it but outcome was great. I did not sauce during the cook.

My RT700 seems to have enough airflow to dry the ribs (spares or BB) on the surface after a couple hours. I like to spritz or baste (either works for me, but spritzing is faster by a lot) with a base liquid of some kind of juice or just plain water, a fat (I've been using about 20-25% plain ol veggie oil), a sugar (to promote bark), and the rub. I seem to only need to baste twice, starting around 2 hours, half an hour apart. The veggie oil seems to keep it moist and helps with the bark.

Babybacks seem to come out a little more dry than the spares, when I run thru without wrapping. If you like super moist, wrap (or put them in a fullsize disposable aluminum tray and cover) around the 4 hour mark ( I base it on the bark color) and remove them when they are almost as tender as you like them (1 to 2 hours), then back on the grill for another 30-45 mins, then sauce as desired and let that tighten up for another 20-30 mins..

Straight time/pit temp cooking isn't consistent for me. Every rack seems slightly different. I go by bend and pull and twist tests.

Have fun with it Mike. Go by the color, the tenderness and your gut. Recipes are guidelines for bbq, IMO.

Last edited:
I've got a rack of pork loin back ribs and I'm looking for a simple way to cook them this time. I've done the 3-2-1 method with mixed results and am curious on what others have tried with good success.

I'm thinking rubbing the rack down with mustard, covering with Holy Cow rub from Meat Church and then letting them smoke at 225 until done.

What do you guys think?

That's what I do, come out great. I use a 70/30 mix of Honey Hog and Holy Cow using 3-2-1

Something else you might want to try is dry brining. It seems to help maintain the moisture quite well.

See this link for more than you probably want to know: https://amazingribs.com/wet-brining-vs-dry-brining

I have started dry brining ribs, brisket, pork butts, etc. It is pretty simple, just lightly dust the surface w/ Kosher salt or sea salt ( in other words non-iodized salt...Kosher supposedly has different crystal formation but have not found it really makes a difference) rub it in and let the sit uncovered (on a grating is best) in a fridge for a time. Thicker the meat the longer it sits. Somewhere between 4-12 hrs is typical.

I have never tried Mustard as a binder. Dusting of a rub not containing salt after dry brining seems to work as the moisture in the meat sticks the rub onto the surface.

As someone said about cooking time, "They are done when they are done." Lower temps (225-250) yield longer cooks that help with tough pieces of meat and provide more smoke in a pellet grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back