Bull Got Pellets...?

Maxwell

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-680
Hey all,

I've been using the Rec Tec pellets so far. Used a round of Trager pellets from Costco as well, not too long ago. Both working well...didn't see much of a difference in flavor or temps. Looking to explore other pellets soon.

Wondering what type are your 'go to pellets'? Reliable/steady heat for low & slow. Also to hit those high 500+ temps for the quick sear?

I use mainly LumberJack and CookingPellets. I've used both of their blends and are very good. I'm using LJ Charhickory now and it really has a nice subtle aroma to it. Once I'm done with these, will probably go back to a blend or straight Hickory. I mainly keep to low temps on the RT, for searing I will go with my Blackstone or gasser.

I’ve tried several brands-mostly using CookinPellets, recteq, and Lumber Jack. I’ve also used Kingsford, Bear Mountain, and Camp Chef. Within the LJ line I’ve used their competition blend, 100% hickory, and the CharHickory. I‘ve had good results with all but for the CharHickory, which in my grills is just nasty dirty. Once I need to restock, I’ll probably move entirely to the Lumber Jack blend for the hopper and their Hickory for the smoke tube. I’m going through a lot more pellets now that I bought a Bullseye (I cook on it multiple times almost every day) and price + local availability make LJ the most sensible choice.

I've used Traeger and Lumberjack. Seemed like the last brisket I did with Lumberjack used fewer pellets in the overnight than the prior one with the Traeger. Didn't measure though, just perception. Otherwise happy with both. The Traeger are readily available for me. Lumberjack I have to plan ahead and stock up. Lumberjack is about half the price.

Lumberjack has worked well for me. I have used several of their products with the competition blend being my favorite. 90% of my cooks are at 250 degrees and lower. I have pushed to high to finish a few times. There were no issues with holding temperature or long waits to reach temperature.

After going through 200lbs of the RT pellets, I have used PitBoss, Jack Daniels, Smoke House, B&B and have not had any issues with any of them. I have not tried LJ yet because I can not find them local and will not pay the higher price and shipping on top of that. I average about $16 per 40lb bag or less on what I have purchased. Most of my cooks are lower temps, but do run it at 350-400 for some things. I have only had my 700 above 450 once in the 1 year that I have it. I use my gaser for high temps and searing.

Where do y’all get your Lumber Jack pellets? I used to order from Dick’s with free shipping but now they charge $10-20/bag.:mad:

I just now ordered 4 bags of LJ at $14.99/bag from Dicks and got free shipping (anything total over $49). Didn't bother trying the price match thing, but oh well, still happy. My first time trying that brand - thanks for the recommendation, forum members!

$49 will ship for free at Dick's. A few days ago they were crediting the shipping even on smaller orders. I picked up two bags with no shipping fee. That was the first time I saw that deal. Sure wish Rural King was in California.

Cooking Pellets on Amazon for mid $30's for a 40# bag with Prime shipping and the local Dicks for LJ 20#bags at around $15 each.

Well shoot. I guess I’ll try Dick’s again. They were trying to charge me $40 shipping for 4 bags the other day.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back