Gotta wait another week?!

Be careful if yours goes UPS. Mine sat at their facility for a week because I didn't realize they were supposed to call me to arrange delivery and they simply forgot to or just didn't. Even when I called them, it took two days to get someone on the phone and the delivery arranged.

I got the RT-700 all put together with the Fire Black gasket installed. I went all JJ Abrams with the lens flare in the pics. I also put a bit of the gasket material on the hinge tabs that contact the raised lid to maybe help protect the finish. First cook was the obligatory chicken legs and thighs. They came out great! 180 degrees (extreme smoke setting) for a little less than an hour (probably go for 30 minutes next time), and then up to 350 for almost another hour. Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets from Lowe's, cause that's all I had. The Bull held temperature like a champ. The WiFi had a lag or two in recording the actual temperature to the app, but nothing too serious. (I wish I didn't get 4-5 notifications in a row telling me it was not up to temp when I ramped it up to to 350 degrees from 180). I then seared the thighs, skin side down, in a skillet to crisp the skin, and then brushed the tops lightly with a hodge-podge bbq sauce I mixed up from a couple of mostly empty bottles in the fridge. Legs got seared and served without sauce. 1st cook on the books, and I am very happy. Two tri-tips are on the schedule for tomorrow. The only hiccup was I didn't place my drip pan correctly so it didn't drain into the bucket on the right. It went left instead, and into the bottom of the smoker. :oops: Cleaned up easily enough though, after the cook. Won't make that mistake again. I'll look for new ones to make. Glad I foiled the drip pan. Clean up was a breeze. Absolutely no staining on the front due to the gasket. After viewing my pictures, I'm sure the question will come up so,....Yes, I am available for hand modeling work.

Attachments

• 20200801_134629_resized.jpg
    20200801_134629_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20200801_134712_resized.jpg
    20200801_134712_resized.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200801_134734_resized.jpg
    20200801_134734_resized.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it up and running. You are in for a great ride with this thing! How was the smoke flavor with the Pit Boss pellets?

Not too strong (sounds like that is typical with pellet burners). A very very slight bitter taste, but not unenjoyable at all. I may have tried to put too much smoke flavor on. I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of different brands and blends. I think Lumberjack will be next, after I get through this 40 lb. bag, since there are a couple local suppliers. Do you have a favorite brand/blend/flavor? Different meats with different pellets?

I got the Rec Tec pellets when I ordered my grill. They put out a very light but good smoke. I like more smoke flavor so I got a bag of Lumberjack 100% Hickory. Did a to an IT of 115 then seared on my sear kit. MUCH better smoke flavor. Still not heavy but could definitely tell the difference.

I got the RT-700 all put together with the Fire Black gasket installed. I went all JJ Abrams with the lens flare in the pics. I also put a bit of the gasket material on the hinge tabs that contact the raised lid to maybe help protect the finish. First cook was the obligatory chicken legs and thighs. They came out great! 180 degrees (extreme smoke setting) for a little less than an hour (probably go for 30 minutes next time), and then up to 350 for almost another hour. Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets from Lowe's, cause that's all I had. The Bull held temperature like a champ. The WiFi had a lag or two in recording the actual temperature to the app, but nothing too serious. (I wish I didn't get 4-5 notifications in a row telling me it was not up to temp when I ramped it up to to 350 degrees from 180). I then seared the thighs, skin side down, in a skillet to crisp the skin, and then brushed the tops lightly with a hodge-podge bbq sauce I mixed up from a couple of mostly empty bottles in the fridge. Legs got seared and served without sauce. 1st cook on the books, and I am very happy. Two tri-tips are on the schedule for tomorrow. The only hiccup was I didn't place my drip pan correctly so it didn't drain into the bucket on the right. It went left instead, and into the bottom of the smoker. :oops: Cleaned up easily enough though, after the cook. Won't make that mistake again. I'll look for new ones to make. Glad I foiled the drip pan. Clean up was a breeze. Absolutely no staining on the front due to the gasket. After viewing my pictures, I'm sure the question will come up so,....Yes, I am available for hand modeling work.
Great info @Hojji1 on your thighs and legs. I also put some Fireblack on the lid stops. Wife spotted that right away and didn't want any scratches on the lid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back