Happy 4th of July!

Dr.Floyd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Happy 4th of July, to you and your family! Feeling extra free today!

c111525c6e9132229d680550f203b462.jpg

FB_IMG_1688484336741.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this today, and thought it was very interesting.

“Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: ‘For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.’”

Michael W Smith

I saw this today, and thought it was very interesting.

“Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: ‘For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.’”

Michael W Smith
We, the beneficiaries of their sacrifices, salute them! And, we must be ready to put “our lives, fortunes and sacred honor” on the line as well, if called.

Thanks for posting this, @Greg Jones. And all, please note that there was no mention of partisan politics; just duty, honor and country.

Wow!

All I can say about my people (as I am a descendant of the original indigenous people that were here when Columbus “discovered“ America) is that they slaughtered my ancestors and took their land. Those that were not killed were subject to indentured servitude and were forced to support the aforementioned war effort never getting so much as a thank you to this day. I guess that isn’t worth a mention in the annals of that report.

Perspective is everything… Wohoo for the 4th.

Regards!

Yes, perspective matters, and I can understand your point of view. That said, the history of humankind is one of perpetual conquest, with the conquered not faring well and the conquerors taking advantage. It continues today. I can’t say that I think it is right, but it is what it is. We can’t change what has already occurred, but we can dedicate ourselves to making things more equitable moving forward.

Season 1 Netflix GIF

Yes, perspective matters, and I can understand your point of view. That said, the history of humankind is one of perpetual conquest, with the conquered not faring well and the conquerors taking advantage. It continues today. I can’t say that I think it is right, but it is what it is. We can’t change what has already occurred, but we can dedicate ourselves to making things more equitable moving forward.

Season 1 Netflix GIF
Jim…

You are correct. I look forward to a day when my kids don’t have to go to George Washington Elementary School or Abraham Lincoln HS, because of the true people they were. Have you ever heard of a person of Jewish ancestry having to go to Adolph Hitler High?

Regards,

Context In this discussion is also relevant. I’m a 12th generation Appalachian descendant, which makes my grandchildren 14th generation. I’m a son of the American Revolution. Do the math, hate me for that if you will. I only limit it to these generations because this is the history available to me-not that I ran into a generation that encountered a generation that ‘Columbus discovered’, which BTW was not in any part of the USA of which history that we celebrate today. In other words, my people were here July 4,1776, fought for the freedoms we have today, and I refuse to be shamed into feeling guilty about that. If anyone believes that conquest was not a part of world history, from the beginning of time, well damn…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back