Have You Experienced A Lid Pop: If So when Did You Purchase Your Smoker

I'd really like a MAK next, all stainless. I've got about 5 years warranty left on the 1070 - so I need to start saving now. Another option is just buy whatever Costco is selling - you can return it any time regardless of warranty if you're not happy with it for a full refund.
The MAK is my first choice as well. I suspect that once the old house and motorhome are sold—hopefully fairly soon—an All-Stainless Two Star General will be headed our way.

I know some of you are sick of me and that is fair. Many of you know that I have been struggling with my smoker, as it turns out, the heating element was installed incorrectly causing excessive smoke buildup and risk for possible explosions. I had my assistant plot out when these explosions started occurring on RT units and the data was pretty clear.

They looked at posts here, Reddit, FB and wherever else their Google fu took them and discovered a very clear line.

I think it would be beneficial to not only us owners, but to RT to have a better understanding of the units in question so they can address the issue. This isn't a bashing, but merely for data collection purposes.

Have you experienced a smoke explosion?

If so, when did you buy your unit/what unit/did you ID the cause of your explosion?

If you reached out to RT how did they reply?
I had the lid on my 590 explode open twice, I contacted RT and the tech walked me through a thorough system check, everything checked out and was working correctly, he suggested I vacuum the grill out more frequentl, to get rid of the pellet dust. The 590 has not exploded since.

I had the lid on my 590 explode open twice, I contacted RT and the tech walked me through a thorough system check, everything checked out and was working correctly, he suggested I vacuum the grill out more frequentl, to get rid of the pellet dust. The 590 has not exploded since.
Pellet dust?
I thought it was pixie dust, ooops 😬

This isn't the place for common sense @Motodad1776 🤣
Well RT's recommended start ups, advice, etc kind of defy fire science so you can't be surprised that folks new to smoking, grilling, etc may not understand. Stop blaming the customer and start blaming the totes amazing customer service and amazeballs company leading them astray.

You guys can move on and leave the folks commenting here alone. It's clear you don't have a lot more to offer to this convo and just troll. A lot of folks are here to learn.

Well RT's recommended start ups, advice, etc kind of defy fire science so you can't be surprised that folks new to smoking, grilling, etc may not understand. Stop blaming the customer and start blaming the totes amazing customer service and amazeballs company leading them astray.

You guys can move on and leave the folks commenting here alone. It's clear you don't have a lot more to offer to this convo and just troll. A lot of folks are here to learn.
Thanks @Nerdygrrl , you've taught us a lot about grills! Hopefully you get it boxed up soon 🤣

Thanks @Nerdygrrl , you've taught us a lot about grills! Hopefully you get it boxed up soon 🤣
Oh sick burn. Again, RT makes very specific claims on its website that counter and defy fire science. Don't judge new folks like above that don't know any better who post here. You about Family Guy'd this thread and while I do appreciate your sense of humor, I don't care for you dunking on people posting in earnest.

Dunk on me all that you want to, but leave other members alone.

https://www.recteq.com/blogs/recteq-goods/the-truth-about-wood-pellet-grills

Last edited:
Oh sick burn. Again, RT makes very specific claims on its website that counter and defy fire science. Don't judge new folks like above that don't know any better who post here. You about Family Guy'd this thread and while I do appreciate your sense of humor, I don't care for you dunking on people posting in earnest.

Dunk on me all that you want to, but leave other members alone.

https://www.recteq.com/blogs/recteq-goods/the-truth-about-wood-pellet-grills
You have complained about the grill since you've been here.
I have tried to add some humor but you won't let it go.
Thanks for being the spokesperson for the group.

You have complained about the grill since you've been here.
I have tried to add some humor but you won't let it go.
Thanks for being the spokesperson for the group.
Yeah, it's kind of a shit smoker made by kind of a shit company. I also offer a decent amount of advice on here.

So again, feel free to dunk on me, but try to refrain from making negative comments directed at others who are just learning and going by RT's advice.

You had to make a complete workaround for your grill to work properly so maybe dial back the pearl clutching.

Yeah, it's kind of a shit smoker made by kind of a shit company. I also offer a decent amount of advice on here.

So again, feel free to dunk on me, but try to refrain from making negative comments directed at others who are just learning and going by RT's advice.

You had to make a complete workaround for your grill to work properly so maybe dial back the pearl clutching
Dr Phil Thirst GIF by BuzzFeed

Sad man that peruses the smoking forums says what?

You had to modify your smoker to address RT's shortcomings. You presented your schematic. STFU already.
Dr. Phil is calling 🤣

Dr. Phil is calling 🤣
Seriously dude, I think you are pretty damn funny. Just don't attack new people posting in this thread is all that I ask.

The fact that you had to create a mod shows how poorly built these are common sense or not. It's a great mod, and it illustrates a huge problem with company.

Have a great night.

Seriously dude, I think you are pretty damn funny. Just don't attack new people posting in this thread is all that I ask.

The fact that you had to create a mod shows how poorly built these are common sense or not. It's a great mod, and it illustrates a huge problem with company.

Have a great night.
Relaxing Chill Out GIF by Hello All

EDIT: Answer the phone 🤣

Last edited:
Relaxing Chill Out GIF by Hello All

EDIT: Answer the phone 🤣
I am pretty chill. Again, come after me all that you want, but attacking other members about common sense given the fact that you designed and presented your schematics for a work around is laughable.

RT's advice goes against fire science. You know this and I know this. Hit me all that you want to on this. Just leave the others out of this. I want people to be able to reply to this without fear of ridicule by folks that know better,

I expect a better joke from you in reply. You are really above this. Your humor is some of the best I have seen.

I am pretty chill. Again, come after me all that you want, but attacking other members about common sense given the fact that you designed and presented your schematics for a work around is laughable.

RT's advice goes against fire science. You know this and I know this. Hit me all that you want to on this. Just leave the others out of this. I want people to be able to reply to this without fear of ridicule by folks that know better,

I expect a better joke from you in reply. You are really above this. Your humor is some of the best I have seen.
1) No one was attacking anyone.
2) Are you related to Lilbullowner?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back