Having a VERY HARD time getting Bullseye dialed in

Mike R

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Long story short…I’ve spent between 30-40 hours and a 40lb bag of pellets trying to get this thing dialed in. Every time I think I’ve finally got it, I try it later and it does something different. It’s very odd and seems like a range of temperatures aren’t being read correctly either by the probe or the controller itself. Have had multiple phone calls with tech support and have done everything they advised to no avail. Glad others have not had issues but mine has been a nightmare. Very disappointing….,

It all started with the initial burn in @450 recommended by recteq. It was fluctuating between 160’s to 690’s. Very first call to tech support indicated they had been having issues with newer models. Tech suggested I change feed rate to 10. It came from factory set @ 3. I decided to test mine at 250, and have done all subsequent testing at 250. Absolutely would not hold temperature. I don’t recall the swings but I was willing to live with 20 degrees either side of set point. I don’t know if this is reasonable. However, It was way outside this, more like 80 degrees. Called back, next tech recommended setting feed rate to 8. No help. At this point I started noticing something peculiar I believe is potentially causing the issue. Whenever it was in a heating or cooling cycle, it goes like this. This has been consistent . Slowly incrementing on heating, once it hits 258, it would suddenly jump to 301. It also does the same when cooling except in the opposite direction,301 to 258. The same thing happens at 221-240. To me, this is indicative of defective equipment. I thought I had it stabilized with a feed rate of 13. Held good for about 30 minutes then started to rise. First 270 then to 280 within the next 30 minutes with no sign of stopping. Next call tech recommended raising feed rate to 16 and adjusting as needed to get rid of excess fluctuations. I did, and eventually settled on 18 for feed rate seem to be OK. However, the temperature was around 340 and he recommended to adjust to feed right down until I got to my desired set Point, which was 250. guess where I ended up at? Right at about 13 which is where I was at when I started the latest test. I’m at a loss at this point and just basically want a refund or exchange. Sorry for the long post but this is actually a summation. I spent approximately 30 to 40 hours on this deal taking plenty of time between adjustments.

Do the newer versions of the Bullseye still have the spacer for the lid? And if so do you have it installed?

To me, this sounds like a pellet feed issue; bridging perhaps? Have you emptied the pellet hopper and auger tube to check for any obstructions? I have found some “interesting” items in bags of pellets.

Do the pellets you are using have some unusually long ones (1.5” or longer)? Sometimes extra long pellets can bridge and interrupt pellet supply.

I’m thinking something is preventing a smooth feed of pellets to the fire pot.

Which brand and variety of pellets have you tried?
Some feel all pellets are the same, but I agree, I did notice a difference on my DualFire 1200. The sear side had 60+- swings when doing my burn in at 400 degrees. Reqtec mentioned to me my pellets could be the cause. I questioned that, but ordered Recteq pellets to also test at 400 degrees. I still had temp swings, but they were much smaller (around 30 degrees), much more consistent though. My right side hasn't had this issue at all, running my original Bear Mountain pellets it's rock solid.

Using recteq blend pellets purchased at their headquarters
I have had some bridging problems with the Recteq Ultimate Blend pellets. Some were more than 2” long and bridged the openings in the safety grid. I have now quit using them. Instead, I am using Lumberjack, Kingsford or Bear Mountain pellets, depending on what I find available locally.

In the interim, I would go through the hopper and break up as many of the long pellets as I could. Just my experience; YMMV.

This experience was also the reason I have removed the safety grid from my RT-340. It helped in my case. And, I am quite careful about not putting my hands in the pellet hopper when the grill is plugged in.

I’m not suggesting that anyone remove any safety-related parts from their RT products, however. Just reporting on my experience.

Last edited:
You might consider removing all pellets and replace with one of the recommended brand pellets, see if the problem goes away.

Ask around what others use as the minimum feed rate and proceed.

You might consider removing all pellets and replace with one of the recommended brand pellets, see if the problem goes away.

Ask around what others use as the minimum feed rate and proceed.
This is where I’m confused. If my temp set point is 250 and I raise the feed rate to say 18 and the temperature swings even out but the temperature is now averaging around 350. This isn’t helping maintain my set point of 250.

To me, this sounds like a pellet feed issue; bridging perhaps? Have you emptied the pellet hopper and auger tube to check for any obstructions? I have found some “interesting” items in bags of pellets.

Do the pellets you are using have some unusually long ones (1.5” or longer)? Sometimes extra long pellets can bridge and interrupt pellet supply.

I’m thinking something is preventing a smooth feed of pellets to the fire pot.
I’ll do a more detailed check but have casually observed most are around 3/4 to 1 in.

I'm kinda that one guy. Set to 500, once temp says 400 set to low. If you don't have 195-200 after 20 mins on the readout put an oven thermometer in and after 10 mins check the thermometer. Take pics of both and compare. Try a couple times. Dial feed up or down then call recteq and tell'em it's on its way.

I'm kinda that one guy. Set to 500, once temp says 400 set to low. If you don't have 195-200 after 20 mins on the readout put an oven thermometer in and after 10 mins check the thermometer. Take pics of both and compare. Try a couple times. Dial feed up or down then call recteq and tell'em it's on its way.
As much time as I have wasted, I’ve decided it’s going back. Luckily I’m local and it’s still within 30 days, so I plan on loading it in the back of the truck and taking it back to them. So disappointed….waited years to finally get a pellet grill and really wanted it to work.

As much time as I have wasted, I’ve decided it’s going back. Luckily I’m local and it’s still within 30 days, so I plan on loading it in the back of the truck and taking it back to them. So disappointed….waited years to finally get a pellet grill and really wanted it to work.
Let us know how that works out and where you go from here.

S... happens, get another one. I love mine and have been cooking an average of four times a week since 2021.

Update…I returned the Bullseye today. I had a lengthy conversation with Dillen and ultimately decided to go with a 410. I don’t think the Bullseye is a good match for me. Honestly, they took care of me and I’m very satisfied. One of the biggest reasons I chose Recteq is their reputation for quality customer service. They lived up to it today. I look forward to cooking on the 410. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back