High heat burn off?

Pete590

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey all, just cleaned out the smoker and there is quite a good build up of what looks like a combo of grease and creosote . So I cleaned it and scraped off what I could. My question is would it be a good idea to to a high heat burn off? I would take out the grates,no foil on the drip plate,crank it up to full for an hour or so. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any input.

I've cranked up to 500 - 550 for about 30 minutes prior to making pizza. I leave the racks, drip pan, etc. in place. Once things are cooled down, I just brush things off, sometimes with stainless steel scrubbers.

That seems to do the trick without making too much of a project.

Hey all, just cleaned out the smoker and there is quite a good build up of what looks like a combo of grease and creosote . So I cleaned it and scraped off what I could. My question is would it be a good idea to to a high heat burn off? I would take out the grates,no foil on the drip plate,crank it up to full for an hour or so. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any input.
I’ve done the same, although I expect as @Pacman mentioned 30 minutes at high temp is enough. As a precaution to others wanting to try this, DO NOT skip the scrape step! Scraping is not optional, unless you want a grease fire that at best will result in soiling your pants or worse, could damage your grill and/or set something else on fire. So I’ve been told…

i do the exact same as pacman before making pizza. once it stops smoking at high temps all the grease is burned off. definitely makes the pizza taste better

This is how it's done:
1684275043121.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back