Bull Huge Temp Variation

RickyB

Seeking some assistance. I just fired my 700 up today to do a burn in and set it at 400 as per manual. When it got to 400 I checked it with my thermometer and it reads 240-275 across the board. Is there a step I missed in terms of calibration of the inside temp sensor?

Seeking some assistance. I just fired my 700 up today to do a burn in and set it at 400 as per manual. When it got to 400 I checked it with my thermometer and it reads 240-275 across the board. Is there a step I missed in terms of calibration of the inside temp sensor?
Let your grill settle in at 400F for at least a half hour and then check. Early in the heating cycle, it is not unusual for temp swings to occur, both above and below the set point.

You don’t say what kind of “thermometer” you used and where in the grill you checked, but remember that the little vertical sensor at the end of the cooking chamber is where the temp gets checked. Be sure that the sensor is clean and vertical (not bent over).

Should you determine that your sensor is not accurate in its reading, there is a procedure to adjust it by using the temp offset function.

Thank you for the response. I use like an infrared thermometer. It was an hour and a half into the burn in and the temperature did stay constant (230-275). I sure it down and am comparing the ambient temp and I'm still a little ways apart

What are you bouncing the IR beam off?
Building on @padlin00's question, accurately measuring cook chamber temperature with an IR thermometer is just not possible. You need an ambient temperature probe. The IR thermometer simply measures surface temperature at the point where it is aimed. That's not the same as ambient temperature.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back