Instant read (or close) thermometer

GH41

I know the Thermapen MK4 is pretty much the gold standard but looking for options that don't cost a hundred bucks. I have been using a generic therm for years I get from Amazon. They are accurate but slow to register. Any other options?

I know the Thermapen MK4 is pretty much the gold standard but looking for options that don't cost a hundred bucks. I have been using a generic therm for years I get from Amazon. They are accurate but slow to register. Any other options?
I've done the cheap thermometers that take several seconds to measure the cooks temperature inaccurately and are done with them. I will say you get what you pay for, at times you can find the ThermoWorks products on sale and that lessens the initial blow for a quality product.

Last edited:
Never seen the Mk4 on sale. I don't mind paying 100 bucks for one but I like to have backups. That's when it starts to hurt the pocketbook!

Thermoworks has all kinds of sales. Sometimes for specific products and sometimes site-wide. The Thermapen Mk4 was on sale recently.

A decent alternative is the Javelin Pro. I have one and been happy with it (in addition to my Mk4). I've heard others were pleased with a unit from Inkbird, though I don't have first-hand experience.

Yeah, Thermapen does go on sale every so often. I'll bet they have a 4th of July sale. They usually do. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back