Bull Looking for a solid griddle for my Bull.

OK...seasoned the RecTec griddle all day, per instructions. Very happy with the seasoning. Took most of the day, but it did get shiny black like they said it would. Perfect. That is until I put food on it. Did not change the temp at all after initial 200 degree 2 hrs. 400 degrees afterwards. I put smash burgers on it and when I opened the it to flip, it had warped like crazy. Now it's cooling off and starting to flatten a little, but being flat when it's cold isn't doing me any good. Any thoughts?
Man that sucks......good info so others can at least make an informed, educated purchase if they want to go the Rec Tec griddle route.

Man that sucks......good info so others can at least make an informed, educated purchase if they want to go the Rec Tec griddle route.

After thinking about it...it was flat all day long, every time I added grapeseed oil. I started at 8:30 this morning. It only warped after I put cold hamburger patties on it. Think the sudden difference in temp could've caused it? Makes no sense to me that it didn't warp until after the meat went on.

After thinking about it...it was flat all day long, every time I added grapeseed oil. I started at 8:30 this morning. It only warped after I put cold hamburger patties on it. Think the sudden difference in temp could've caused it? Makes no sense to me that it didn't warp until after the meat went on.
That's quite possible I guess but if you can't put food out of the fridge on a hot griddle.....yikes!

Might have to give this some thought...looks promising.
The problem I have with this and the RT griddle beyond the warping, is the less than adequate access to the rear of the griddle. The clearance from the surface to the back side doesn’t allow for easy maneuverability. I have the Stampede which is shorter in height on the inside versus the Bull, so this may not be a big deal for Bull owners.

Blackstone here also, but I’m curious how these are used on a pellet grill. Does the lid stay open, or is it closed once the food is on? I can’t imagine how one could cook with a griddle and the lid closed, but if the lid is open how can one control the heat?

Call RecTec and I'm sure they will take care of you but there's other options out there that are better.

Follow up...sent an email last night. Their reply.

"The griddle will warp when exposed to high temperatures, and then sit flat when it cools. I understand this can be a pain. I would be happy to refund you for the griddle if you would like. Just let me know what I can do to help."

Then this...

"You can still continue to use it! I’m going to refund you, but you don’t need to send it back!"
Immediately got a refund. I would have been happy with a credit towards other accessories but they gave me the refund before I could let them know.

This is how business should be done...kudos to Rec Tec!

Follow up...sent an email last night. Their reply.

"The griddle will warp when exposed to high temperatures, and then sit flat when it cools. I understand this can be a pain. I would be happy to refund you for the griddle if you would like. Just let me know what I can do to help."

Then this...

"You can still continue to use it! I’m going to refund you, but you don’t need to send it back!"
Immediately got a refund. I would have been happy with a credit towards other accessories but they gave me the refund before I could let them know.

This is how business should be done...kudos to Rec Tec!
(y) (y) (y)

Blackstone here also, but I’m curious how these are used on a pellet grill. Does the lid stay open, or is it closed once the food is on? I can’t imagine how one could cook with a griddle and the lid closed, but if the lid is open how can one control the heat?
Since it sits directly over the fire pot after grates, drip pan and diffuser are removed, all the heat is pretty much directed to the griddle. A little too much hassle for me take to everything off just to use it and then swap it all back.

Since it sits directly over the fire pot after grates, drip pan and diffuser are removed, all the heat is pretty much directed to the griddle. A little too much hassle for me take to everything off just to use it and then swap it all back.
That's kinda one of the reasons I went with a smaller grill that's a little easier to use and gives me more room than taking up a ton of the available space.

Looking for a solid griddle for my Bull.

I'm looking for some help/advice on getting a large solid cast iron griddle to cook hash browns, eggs, stir fried veggies, true smash burgers, etc on. I really like my sear grates but I want something without holes in it.

The easy answer is Rec Tec's griddle, but as much as I love my grill the reviews of thier griddle are pretty horrible. It seems folks have a ton of warping problems, etc.

Anyone with direct experience with Rec Tec's griddle mind sharing what they think?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who may have bought an aftermarket griddle from somewhere else and what they think of it.

Appreciate any and all comments!
I use my griddle from my Weber.

I'm looking for some help/advice on getting a large solid cast iron griddle to cook hash browns, eggs, stir fried veggies, true smash burgers, etc on. I really like my sear grates but I want something without holes in it.

The easy answer is Rec Tec's griddle, but as much as I love my grill the reviews of thier griddle are pretty horrible. It seems folks have a ton of warping problems, etc.

Anyone with direct experience with Rec Tec's griddle mind sharing what they think?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who may have bought an aftermarket griddle from somewhere else and what they think of it.

I use my griddle from my Weber
image.jpg

The BBQHack is interesting, but I still think it's expensive for what it is. I have a portable Blackstone that's about the same griddle size, and sells for much less.

@mooncusser2k

I completely agree, what size is your Blackstone griddle? As much as I love my little 18" x 10" Lodge griddle with handles I'm finding that I need to cook in waves with it, which is fine. But, sometimes I'd like something a little bigger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back