Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I see various posts here indicating that some people have trouble getting their Bulls over 450-500* max. All that seems curious to me as I have no problem getting mine to 550* + any day. The only difference I can imagine is pellet choice. I have experimented with multiple brands of pellets, but I have mostly used the recteq ultimate blend. I recently bought 200# of the cookingpellets.com perfect mix pellets that recteq sells, and today I had a chance to run them at full temp. Weather wise, we had showers here today and aIr temps were unseasonably low this evening at 76* when I cooked. At max temp, my Bull got to ALMOST 600*, logging 596* when I checked it. I didn’t look at the logs to see if it actually got over 600*, but clearly the cooking pellets are capable of reaching high temps.

Attachments

• 0B9BCFBB-2704-4C68-B6CB-DDCEBBC72661.jpeg
    0B9BCFBB-2704-4C68-B6CB-DDCEBBC72661.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 120
What point are you pushing?? At 600 degrees it's still only a pellet fired convection oven! I love my 590 for low and slow cooking but it will never be a high temp meat cooking machine.

Running same pellets mine stuggles to crest much over 500, dont think i have ever seen over 550 but i also dont use it for they type of cookng. it serves its purpose for what it was purchased for.

What point are you pushing?? At 600 degrees it's still only a pellet fired convection oven! I love my 590 for low and slow cooking but it will never be a high temp meat cooking machine.
Agreed. I still use my eggs for direct heat. Love my 700 but it’s not a do all.

Agreed. I still use my eggs for direct heat. Love my 700 but it’s not a do all.
Not everyone has the luxury or space of having multiple, single task devices to address every outdoor cooking scenario. For those folks, they are looking for a do-all cooker. If one has multiple cookers, and I do myself, I get that you want to use the ones most appropriate for the task. What I don’t understand is why y’all are compelled to be critical of how others are using their recteqs in different ways from the way you use yours? It’s OK to scroll on by.

This isn’t the BGE forum or the Char Broil gas grill forum. If we are going to limit the discussions to how to cook brisket, ribs, and pork butt, then it’s going to be a pretty boring place. I’ve posted pictures here of the steaks and chops that I have cooked at high temp on my Bull and I get fantastic results. No complaints, no compromise, every bit as good as anything I ever cooked on a BGE. I expect others here might want to do the same.

Not everyone has the luxury or space of having multiple, single task devices to address every outdoor cooking scenario. For those folks, they are looking for a do-all cooker. If one has multiple cookers, and I do myself, I get that you want to use the ones most appropriate for the task. What I don’t understand is why y’all are compelled to be critical of how others are using their recteqs in different ways from the way you use yours? It’s OK to scroll on by.

This isn’t the BGE forum or the Char Broil gas grill forum. If we are going to limit the discussions to how to cook brisket, ribs, and pork butt, then it’s going to be a pretty boring place. I’ve posted pictures here of the steaks and chops that I have cooked at high temp on my Bull and I get fantastic results. No complaints, no compromise, every bit as good as anything I ever cooked on a BGE. I expect others here might want to do the same.
IMO if I could only have one grill it would be gas with a sear station, side burner and big enough to cook 3 rib racks over indirect heat.

IMO if I could only have one grill it would be gas with a sear station, side burner and big enough to cook 3 rib racks over indirect heat.
Fine, and if I go to the Char Broil forum and recommend people there use a recteq to sear meat, feel free to be all helpful and contradict Every Single Thing that I say. Clearly at this point you have a bug up your butt that I participate here, talking about cooking on a recteq on a recteq forum.

It's awesome that you can turn-in those high-heat temps, especially when doing so helps you prepare your food the way you want to do it. I've seen numerous pics of awesome-looking high-heat cooks from you folks where I'd love to be your dinner guest.

Fine, and if I go to the Char Broil forum and recommend people there use a recteq to sear meat, feel free to be all helpful and contradict Every Single Thing that I say. Clearly at this point you have a bug up your butt that I participate here, talking about cooking on a recteq on a recteq forum.
No bug up my ass at all... Just trying to point out that those who talk the loudest are not necessarily spreading the truth. They are just talking the loudest. Some people aren't open minded enough know they are mistaken.

No bug up my ass at all... Just trying to point out that those who talk the loudest are not necessarily spreading the truth. They are just talking the loudest. Some people aren't open minded enough know they are mistaken.
I’ve yet to see anything you have posted here that was anything but, at best, unpleasant. Nothing posted about what you have cooked, nothing at all that contributes to the community of recteq users. Instead, people post pictures of their cooks, and you say it’s burnt, people post pictures of the enhancements they make to their grills, you say they are fools to waste their money, people post pictures of the results they get, and you say you don’t believe it. People post that they grill for charity events, and you post they must do that for a tax deduction. People have a difference of opinion? Has to be because they are mistaken. On, and on, and on. You are about as myopic as it gets, perhaps a little introspection might help you understand the meaning of an open mind.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back