Meat inflation ruining barbecue

JTolbert

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
Just returned from the store with my wife, looked for something to put on the rectec. Instead I left with nothing and instead a feeling that it may be time to sell my grille. Not even joking. 8 dollar a pound chuck roasts. 35 dollar eye of round 5-6 dollars a pound. Briskets here are 5 dollars a pound maybe find 4 dollars per lb on choice every now and then. Not trying to be Debbie downer but told my wife just takes some enjoyment away when everything is so darn expensive. Pork butt cheap regularly but don't want to cook it all the time 😫

Just returned from the store with my wife, looked for something to put on the rectec. Instead I left with nothing and instead a feeling that it may be time to sell my grille. Not even joking. 8 dollar a pound chuck roasts. 35 dollar eye of round 5-6 dollars a pound. Briskets here are 5 dollars a pound maybe find 4 dollars per lb on choice every now and then. Not trying to be Debbie downer but told my wife just takes some enjoyment away when everything is so darn expensive. Pork butt cheap regularly but don't want to cook it all the time 😫
hey arnold nick splat GIF

@Motodad1776 yeah that's absolutely the scary part dude not the worst of it by far. More and more regulations on farmers every day and their inflation costs to raise products on top of it. No end in sight. It REALLY sucks.

That is the problem... At what point do you think the politician will ever say "we have more then enough laws and rules"... NEVER.. They want to "show" they did something... rules on top of rules on top of rules... We need to do like Argentine President Javier Milei--- got into office and FIRED 70,000 GOVERNMENT employees... That is what we need... Clear the decks-- get rid of all the redundancies .. Get rid of all these laws on top of laws on top of laws... We need to get back to the "sprit" of community and get government back to paving the roads-- like what they should be doing..

When did it go from the Government here for us--- to --- we are here for the Government.. /rant;

@Motodad1776 yeah that's absolutely the scary part dude not the worst of it by far. More and more regulations on farmers every day and their inflation costs to raise products on top of it. No end in sight. It REALLY sucks.

I have a half steer coming next month, the quality and purity of beef will be unquestionable, and I am also helping support a local farmer and friend.

Our local butcher charges $4.99 for freezer beef.
Any recommendations here? Is that a good price?
Will I use all cuts?
They do grass feed all beef on their hundred acres which I’m not knowledgeable about whether that’s a pro or a con .

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The fire in west Texas this year, (largest in Texas and second largest in US history) burned through a lot of Texas grazing lands. Only going to continue to push price up

Its not the politicians as much as its the Companies price gouging
I used to trade trucks every year Buy a duramax or Ram diesel 50 or 55 grand now they are 90 grand, And people are lined up to buy them I don't get it

Its not the politicians as much as its the Companies price gouging
I have to disagree. Aggregated inflation since January 2021 is standing at 19.4% as of March 2024 according to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. I suspect that this is a low number. Is some of it due to companies gouging? Sure, but if that were rampantly the case, the publicly traded food providers should be showing higher profits rather than the bad financial numbers being reported throughout the nation's food supply chain. Bottom line is we have not seen this rate of inflation since Jimmy Carter.

I can tell you that in some places (i.e. CA), politicians are 99.99% to blame as they layered inflation with new "feel good" laws on pork production, much like they had already done to poultry a few years back. This has skyrocketed prices due to banning many suppliers from selling their products in CA. Even Wild Fork sent out an email a little while ago saying that they would no longer be shipping any pork products to CA until they find new suppliers.

Your vote matters.

FJB

Will I use all cuts?
They do grass feed all beef on their hundred acres which I’m not knowledgeable about whether that’s a pro or a con .

Thoughts?
I certainly wouldn't want to sway you one way or the other,especially on a large quantity but the grass fed beef I have had was amazing it had this really clean almost sweetness that came across the palet when cooked

I have to disagree. Aggregated inflation since January 2021 is standing at 19.4% as of March 2024 according to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. I suspect that this is a low number. Is some of it due to companies gouging? Sure, but if that were rampantly the case, the publicly traded food providers should be showing higher profits rather than the bad financial numbers being reported throughout the nation's food supply chain. Bottom line is we have not seen this rate of inflation since Jimmy Carter.

I can tell you that in some places (i.e. CA), politicians are 99.99% to blame as they layered inflation with new "feel good" laws on pork production, much like they had already done to poultry a few years back. This has skyrocketed prices due to banning many suppliers from selling their products in CA. Even Wild Fork sent out an email a little while ago saying that they would no longer be shipping any pork products to CA until they find new suppliers.

Your vote matters.

FJB

What did y'all think was going to occur when the government was sending everyone pandemic relief funds to every citizen regardless of their situation? Greenbacks can't be printed out of thin air and not devalue the currency. We are paying for that sin committed by both parties who were buying election votes. We have the government we deserve because we keep voting Republican or Democrat and hoping for a different result. News flash, there is no different result coming as long as voters keep voting these parasites in office.

As Pacman says your vote matters. Question is, how will you use it?

Will I use all cuts?

Thoughts?
Just be careful that you are not paying a premium for grass fed, grain finished. Unless beef is 100% grass fed, everything else is grass fed, grain finished. There is absolute a difference in 100% grass fed beef and dairy products. If you have ever had Kerrygold butter, you probably already appreciate how much better it is from everyday supermarket butter.

Your vote matters.

FJB
send me a link on the 19%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back