Meat inflation ruining barbecue

The worst part of all of this is that a lot of the farmers are getting less money for their cows. My in-laws are dairy farmers and sell off the steer when ready to be butchered. Get less and less everytime, but everyone else is cashing in.

I rarely buy beef or pig in the market, but I feel for everyone.

The worst part of all of this is that a lot of the farmers are getting less money for their cows. My in-laws are dairy farmers and sell off the steer when ready to be butchered. Get less and less everytime, but everyone else is cashing in.

Great first post and welcome to the forum. :)

Yeah I was just reading an article this morning at work where Government regulations have affected the salmon fishing in California essentially not allowing it for last 2 years. So there is a part of the now $18 per lb or higher Salmon. List is growing every day

Freezers are my answer to this. Any time meat is on sale I take the whole family down and everyone buys the max qty. I know everyone can't do this but the amortized cost of an upright frost free freezer is cheaper than full price meat. And I buy cases if possible at restaurant depot and us foods. It cost me $60 to get a tax license to buy wholesale. No government entity tracks that I don't sell a product.

All beef is grass fed , what it's finished on that makes the difference .
I've recently been buying from a local ranch
https://azgrassraisedbeef.com/shop/
Finished on grass from them
Clarks Market , local supermarket sells only prime grade beef , what a difference in taste.
Prime grade , grain finished taste sooo much better , grass finished is better for you .

The initial uptick in prices was in mid 20 thru 22. Many economic reasons for this including Russia invasion of Ukraine, pandemic, pandemic related stimuli to people and companies who didn't need them and didn't have to pay them back, supply chain problems, etc. However, since 2023, prices should have dropped on many items but the manufacturers and suppliers have not reduced prices and profits have soared. Don't buy the corporate line. According to all historic economic factors, inflation should be below 2% annually.

The initial uptick in prices was in mid 20 thru 22. Many economic reasons for this including Russia invasion of Ukraine, pandemic, pandemic related stimuli to people and companies who didn't need them and didn't have to pay them back, supply chain problems, etc. However, since 2023, prices should have dropped on many items but the manufacturers and suppliers have not reduced prices and profits have soared. Don't buy the corporate line. According to all historic economic factors, inflation should be below 2% annually.

Yet here we all here......and it is what it is for some of the reasons you mentioned. If only consumers in masses would stop spending money for a few days up to a week, you can bet that things would quickly shape right up with INFLATION. ;)

Elections have consequences.

The russian invasion had little to NO affect on inflation.
When the new sitter in the white house took over the inflation went up to 8%. when russia invaded ukraine it rose less the 1% more. Those are the facts.

The "stimuli checks", the no charge for rent, the closing of small businesses, that's what added fuel to the fire.

Now add in this ridiculous "student loan forgiveness" (which means our tax dollars will no be used to subsidize these loans (because the colleges will still GET THEIR MONEY FROM THE GOVERMENT.. i.e. people paying taxes).

I will state it again..

Elections have consequences, (mostly fraudulent elections have dire consequences).

Last edited:
Voting Donald Trump GIF by Creative Courage

The steers are demanding higher pay. They want $25/lb. They are tired of the cheap prices they are getting when the workers serving burgers are getting $20/hour. . 😱

My neighbor told me that Wally mart was fined big time for cheating on the scale. He said that they were rolling back prices but the also increased the weight. Eg. A pound of meat was $12/b. They rolled back the price to $8/lb. Problem was the same piece of meat was still selling at $12. They listed the weight as 1 1/2 lbs instead of the true weight of 1 lb. I always weight the meat that I use. I don’t know how they thought that they could fool people.

I bought a corned beef for $3.99/lb. It weighted 3 lb. Cost $12. Normal price $7.99/lb. The weight after cooking was 1 lb. So the cost of finish product was $12/lb.

I’m cooking up a brisket tonight to take to my son’s fire station for dinner tomorrow. I bought this in late October and tossed it in the freezer. When I got it out I thought about this thread so I checked the price. I have to say I was a little surprised. It’s only a Choice grade but still not too bad. They are $1 a pound more now.
IMG_6581.jpeg

I’m cooking up a brisket tonight to take to my son’s fire station for dinner tomorrow. I bought this in late October and tossed it in the freezer. When I got it out I thought about this thread so I checked the price. I have to say I was a little surprised. It’s only a Choice grade but still not too bad. They are $1 a pound more now.View attachment 21723
Yeah no pictures but we were at BJs wholesale it was choice 7.99 per lb. Just read in another thread in the forum guys we're getting choice for 2.50 to 3 per lb. That's a great price you got on yours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back