Stampede Modified Stampede and Cover

ThatGuy

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm done.

Modified my cover to fit my modified Stampede.
I bolted on Camp Chef's Sear Box, added a commercial LP hose to it, and then cut my cover to fit the RecTeq. I need to add a zipper to the cover but I'm pleased with the result. The baskets, upper shelf, and Phat Mats are really convenient when moving food around too.

Cover 2.jpeg
Cover.jpeg
Sear Box with hose (1).jpeg
Baskets Upper Shelf and Phat Mats.jpeg

I made a template of the sear box by placing the sear box on its side on top of a flat piece of cardboard. I traced the outer profile of the sear box and it's 5 mounting holes onto the cardboard and cut it out. I positioned the template onto the Stampede and taped it in place ( I settled on having the rear of the sear box flush with the rear of the Stampede). I then used a small center punch to mark the mounting hole locations. Drilled the holes and then bolted the sear box on.

Any way propane tank could be put in backside of compcart? Haven't really looked at them closely. That would be nice.
Otherwise nice job . . .

Any way propane tank could be put in backside of compcart? Haven't really looked at them closely. That would be nice.
Otherwise nice job . . .

They absolutely can. In fact, the Sear Box comes with a hook that can be mounted to the cart for your tank to hang on.

I live in a rural area without access to natural gas. Therefore, I have a large propane tank that runs my kitchen range. I also have a connection on the rear porch where I keep the smoker. That's the reason for the hose in my case.

That looks awesome! Why did you go with the sear box vs the sidekick with a grill? How hot does the sear station get? I’m looking to do one of the two like you and others have done.

I went with the sear box for a number of reasons.
Compact size, cost ( grate and lid is included it’s an additional expense on the Sidekick) and use preference.

I’ve had side burners on past grills and NEVER used them.

I primarily wanted something super convenient to sear on. The sear box will reach 800+ and vaporizes drippings on the diffuser plates making clean up less of a chore

Thanks man. You mind sharing the pics and parts list for the install? I’ve got the bigger auger motor in mine and just sealed it with the gasket. It definitely won’t get as hot with the gasket (it’ll get over 600 without it), but I’m tired of cleaning the grill so I’m looking for something to get those high temps (>550).

I'm out of town so pics aren't available at present. The only thing I needed in addition to the sear box itself was 5-6 nuts and bolts with fender and lock washers. I believe I used 1/4-20 hex bolts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back