Votes: 2 9.1%
  • C.Keeper - But, they're in the attic

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Epcotisbest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SmokeZilla

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Yoder Speaking of toys, Yoder has its new version of the Wyldside. Made in the USA and priced accordingly. Not suggesting anyone rush out and buy one, but cooking on the Wyldside is a blast! I don’t think I’ve had any outdoor cooking experience that is more fun than a Santa Maria grill. Love it so much I bought an add-ok for my PK grill.
I want one!

Oh I want one... Whomever orders this gets my toy vote! Always wanted a Santa Maria, but need to absolutely master my offset first. I still can't nail down temps as good as the bulls.
For the record I do really well in that department, but somehow I feel like I'm playing duece/seven vs rockets against you.
I once owned a Santa Maria and quite frankly, it didn’t do anything that I couldn’t do with a good old fashioned 50 gallon barrell cut in half with hinges on the back. The ability to raise and lower the deck was pretty cool but the loss of heat and the amount of wood/lump charcoal it consumed combined with the cleaning was a little more work than I was willing to put into it. I also have a “tow behind” grill for full pigs or a half side of beef that isn‘t fancy but works every time. (See picture)
1700450216738.jpeg

Santa Maria grill cooking. This is not your average, cooking food in a drum, experience.
No, that's just a special kind of cool in cooking.

(Still eyeballing that PK Santa Maria and rotisserie setup from the Burn Shop that "some enabler" happened to share)

I agree when I had mine that it was a fun way to cook. My biggest issue was the clean up and fuel consumption. I have a 5’ vertical New Branusfel cast iron smoker that is a stick burner and the tow behind that I posted above (amongst other devices) and neither one of them burn the amount of wood that my Santa Maria did. I would typically go through 40 pieces of wood for a 5 hour cook due the loss of heat. I did add sides in an attempt to keep more of the heat in but by the time I finished making the mods it was much easier to let it go. As an avid griller for many years, I didn’t see anything the Santa Maria brought to the table that I couldn’t do over a fire pit when I would go camping. The other challenge was keeping it clean. The design was a magnet for rodents, stray cats and other vermin. There is nothing worst than going out to the old grill for a cook and seeing rat feces all over the grill. I wish they had a design that allowed it to be encased to keep the critters away. Have you come across a decent cover to protect it from intruders?

The other challenge was keeping it clean. The design was a magnet for rodents, stray cats and other vermin. There is nothing worst than going out to the old grill for a cook and seeing rat feces all over the grill. I wish they had a design that allowed it to be encased to keep the critters away. Have you come across a decent cover to protect it from intruders?
The Wyldside has a pretty nice SS cover for the grates and the fire box. This picture was when it was first assembled and the grates were still outside. The grate frame does stay uncovered however. I had a custom cover made by Coversandall and they did an outstanding. With all the curves and handles, it fits perfectly and the cost was reasonable. Can’t recommend them highly enough!

IMG_3110.jpeg
IMG_3654.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back