Bull Multiple Meat Feast Timing Plan

FOMCK

Rec Tec Pros!
I am smoking an 11lb brisket (15lb before trimming), two bone-in pork butts (about 9lbs each) and 3 racks of baby racks ribs for a gathering that begins at 4pm on Saturday.

I want all meats off grill by about 3pm to rest with everything done.

I really need some help planning when the various meats go on and what temp I should cook everything at (I am partial to 225) and what internal temp you would remove at.

I generally shoot for 203 on the brisket and butts, but last brisket was a bit dry, because I think I waited to long for internal temp to get to 203 throughout entire brisket.

Meats are trimmed, prepped, and dry brined with kosher salt.

I was thinking about wrapping brisket through stall with butcher paper, which I did last time and was great, but am open to not wrapping.

I was not planning to do the 3-2-1 rib method, just naked all the way, but am willing.
Thanks for any advice!!!!
Fo

I wouldn't stress on trying to get them all done at the same time if that's what you meant. Wrapping and holding in a feaux Cambro (ice chest will do) is a good technique once each item is cooked properly. You'll have to control it as each piece of meat will do what it does, time is only a wide guideline. So some commentary to that end.

3-2-1 will most likely ruin baby back ribs, way too much time (that's more suited to the larger spare ribs). Ballpark 5 hours max at the 225 temp is likely better, though might be too much or slightly too little depending on conditions.

The brisket and butts could end up with similar times to one another but again, time is unreliable. Temp is better, but AGAIN, it's only a guideline. Probing will give you a better indication. Your example of going to 203 and thinking the product was dry is a good example. For that particular piece of meat something around 195 might have been ideal. Had you been going by probe tender rather than the "magic" 203 temp you would probably have pulled the brisket sooner and been happier with the results. I start checking for probe tender in the low 190s. Sometimes it's done at, say, 195, sometimes higher. Once at 205 rather than 203, meat has a mind of it's own, don't fight it.

BTW, you might not want to try it for this cook, but higher temps can yield good cooks as well. I commonly do those same meats at 250-275. If you like bark on butts or brisket those temps might be more to your likeing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back