Bull New Bull Today!!!! Wheel mod question.

daaaveman

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi fellow Mafia members! Dave from St. Louis here. New BULL arrived today. Taking the crappy Traeger to my farmhouse.

Anyway, I bought all the parts for the wheel mod. I had hoped to do it during assembly but the axle showed up a few hours after assembly......I couldn't wait.

My question is this. Am I putting the new 10" rear wheels at the same height as the factory? Am I busting out/drilling out the threaded piece inside the leg? Drilling above it? Do I bust it out then drill or stick the step bit in the hole and bust the welds? I hope ya understand the question. Basically where does the 5/8" hole go in the back leg and how do I do it exactly?

Thanks folks. I'm beyond excited.

Hi fellow Mafia members! Dave from St. Louis here. New BULL arrived today. Taking the crappy Traeger to my farmhouse.

Anyway, I bought all the parts for the wheel mod. I had hoped to do it during assembly but the axle showed up a few hours after assembly......I couldn't wait.

My question is this. Am I putting the new 10" rear wheels at the same height as the factory? Am I busting out/drilling out the threaded piece inside the leg? Drilling above it? Do I bust it out then drill or stick the step bit in the hole and bust the welds? I hope ya understand the question. Basically where does the 5/8" hole go in the back leg and how do I do it exactly?

Thanks folks. I'm beyond excited.
My Bull is kept in the garage, meaning I need to wheel it in and out of the garage before and after each use. My RT-700 came with the new wide legs and the Rollerblade wheels. There's a 1 1/2" step off coming out of my garage which the Bull rolls right over. I pick up the front wheels to get over the step coming in and the back wheels roll right over.

Unless you're running through grass not sure you need the big wheels. Also, with the new legs the installation isn't going to be near as easy as the straight legs. Good luck!

I do move mine through grass and I think that is the answer. The leg design changed. I'm thinking about just using the existing threaded leg attachment and finding a sleeve for the bigger wheel to match the bolt size. That would probably be easier.

@daaaveman take a look at this post here in the Wheel Mod thread.

My instructions in the first post of the wheel mod thread is based on the original leg design. I don't have the new wider legs so I can't answer how to go about doing it for that version.

If anyone wants to make a step by step post as I've done with the original design that would be awesome!

I do move mine through grass and I think that is the answer. The leg design changed. I'm thinking about just using the existing threaded leg attachment and finding a sleeve for the bigger wheel to match the bolt size. That would probably be easier.
Mind me asking why you didn't get the comp cart if you pan on moving it allot?

Thanks Mike. That's exactly the thread I needed. I had already figured out pretty much all it said but it confirmed it. Bottom line is you can do the wheel mod on the new legs but you're going to need a sawzall, a grinder, and I wouldn't do it without a drill press. A shim setup might work with an angle grinded on the inside to match the legs but I don't think I want to rely on big 10" wheels hanging on a skinny little M5 bolt.

And ModernRec, the comp cart seems expensive to me for what it is and it doesn't allow for storage underneath. I will admit that cost was the main reason but also I just wanted to be a bit different with red wheels. Plus taller is better.

I'll probably end up doing the mod but I'm going to go to my buddy's machine shop to do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back