New Jerky Plan Help

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey,
I could use some help before I head off into a Jerky downhill slide. The first time I made jerky on the bull wasn't my favorite. Too strong, seemed overcooked, just not great. We ate it, but just not great. Usually i do jerky in the dehydrator. I marinate in soy, powdered hickory smoke, a bit of honey and cayenne for a short while (15 min) then on to the dehydrator, 6 hrs later, great jerky. Good heat, ok smoke, slightly sweet and salty. Can i get that product, or better, using the bull? Thanks- ??

Hey,
I could use some help before I head off into a Jerky downhill slide. The first time I made jerky on the bull wasn't my favorite. Too strong, seemed overcooked, just not great. We ate it, but just not great. Usually i do jerky in the dehydrator. I marinate in soy, powdered hickory smoke, a bit of honey and cayenne for a short while (15 min) then on to the dehydrator, 6 hrs later, great jerky. Good heat, ok smoke, slightly sweet and salty. Can i get that product, or better, using the bull? Thanks- ??
Absolutely! But I wouldn’t use the powdered smoke if you are going to smoke it on the Bull.

Maybe this guy can help you...
Gotbbq
Premium Member
Messages687
Grill(s) ownedBull
Yesterday at 10:00 AM
New
Add bookmark
I make jerky about once a month. Using low, 180, does it nicely. ??

Not to hi -Jack the thread, but was going to do some ground beef jerky today. Kid had major surgery and chewy is hard so we thought maybe ground beef my be better for him. Was planning on 180 temp. Any guess on an approximate time, I've seen 4 hours for round but not much on ground beef.

I've had great success using eye of round. I posted the recipe for beef jerky done two ways in a past post. I'd be happy to hunt for it if you're interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_115417.jpg
    IMG_20200429_115417.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200429_161952.jpg
    IMG_20200429_161952.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 95
Gonna really have to watch the temps and texture of jerky on any pellet grill. They claim 180° at low/smoke setting, but very few can maintain that temp. Have not used my 590 for that reason. MES 40 with Auber PID, can dial it to the low temp wanted and not worry about it getting to done and crispy.

Its been all over the place. I've done it at low temps but didn't seem to be getting done. Turned out more like strips of steaks than jerky. I'm going to adjust the amount of time I soak the meat. Maybe do the same as I do when i have used the dehydrator? ??

Gonna really have to watch the temps and texture of jerky on any pellet grill. They claim 180° at low/smoke setting, but very few can maintain that temp. Have not used my 590 for that reason. MES 40 with Auber PID, can dial it to the low temp wanted and not worry about it getting to done and crispy.
I hear you, Maybe i'll monitor the temp with a secondary temp monitor. What is a MES 40 with Auber PID? For sure something I don't own, but could get one! ??

I've had great success using eye of round. I posted the recipe for beef jerky done two ways in a past post. I'd be happy to hunt for it if you're interested.
Hi Beth, where did you end up getting your jerky racks from?

I got some MEN brand rack s that look a lot like that at Fleet Farm in WI. They stack great in the Rec tec. Will attach photos when I pull the jerky off .

I hear you, Maybe i'll monitor the temp with a secondary temp monitor. What is a MES 40 with Auber PID? For sure something I don't own, but could get one! ??
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker with a PID controller. Control your temp within a couple degree.
Whole different smoker.

Bev,

I tried to find your post on the jerky recipes. Do you remember what area of was posted under?

If you need some easy to chew jerky, simply cutting the meat cross grain will make a huge difference. But change to a traditional steak cut and it gets really tender when cut cross grain.

Ive done two batches of jerky, Both recipes from Bon Appetite Brand Leone on the Bull. I cooked both at low with auger at the minimum (Central california so its 80-90 both times i made it.) Marinated overnight, not 24 hours and both came out great. I couldn't fine eye of round so i used top round, had the butcher slice it for me and did some fat trimming. Cooked them for 4-5 hours based on each piece and how it flexed. We think they both came out great and didn't last more than 2-3 days in the house!

IMG_5119[1].JPG

The Old Timer:
1¼ lb. eye of round beef
3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. drained capers
1 Tbsp. caper liquid
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. dried oregano
1½ tsp. Tellicherry pepper

Bringin’ the Funk:
1¼ lb. beef
10 dashes fish sauce
2 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 Fresno chile
1 1″ piece ginger
¼ cup gochujang
¼ tsp. Chinese five–spice powder
Sesame seeds (for topping

IMG_E5247[1].JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back