Bull New Owner - Temperature Spike

dvjohnson02

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I cooked about 20 chicken thighs today for my second cook on my new 700. The temperature was set for 425*; after opening the lid to turn the thighs the temperature began to climb once I shut the lid again, getting as high as 450* before I opened the lid a second time to let some heat escape. I've read on this forum where opening the lid throws off the PID and can result in a temperature spike.

If holding the lid open for 60 seconds spikes the temperature, how do you account for that?

Normally the temperature will self-correct in just a short while. If that does not seem to happen after ten minutes (normally much faster), it might be worth a call to RT customer service.

I did some chicken thighs today as well. Temp was set at 400. After opening the lid to turn them my temp dropped to 380 as you would expect, then spiked to 415 and was back down to 400 in less than 10 minutes. It seems to spike more and take a little longer to correct at higher temperatures. I don’t think it affects the cook one way or the other.

I use a secondary air sensor (my Signals from Thermoworks) and I've been adjusting the temp off of that. I was doing ribs on Friday and had a hell of a temperature spike after opening and wrapping the ribs (I closed the lid in between). I was going for 270 and my Signals said it was up to 340 and climbing. I ended up turning the temp way down and opening the lid for about 30 seconds. Then, after the temp stabilized, I brought it back up to the temp I wanted.

I did some chicken thighs today as well. Temp was set at 400. After opening the lid to turn them my temp dropped to 380 as you would expect, then spiked to 415 and was back down to 400 in less than 10 minutes. It seems to spike more and take a little longer to correct at higher temperatures. I don’t think it affects the cook one way or the other.
I think you're right about it not affecting the cook. My thighs turned out great. Next time I'll be more patient and let it correct itself.

It will , when opened it cools calling for more pellets ( hence the spike). It will settle in fairly quick. I very rarely open my grill thru entire cook, no wrap, no mopping. If your look'n , your not cook'n.

It will , when opened it cools calling for more pellets ( hence the spike). It will settle in fairly quick. I very rarely open my grill thru entire cook, no wrap, no mopping. If your look'n , your not cook'n.
Yes @Wslayer, but!!!

another consideration is outdoor temps. the min auger speed adjustment can help as well. but what other have said is true. opening the lid drops the temp and calls for more fuel. there is a vid on the rectec site on how to adjust the auger. if its over 80 outside - it might need to be turned down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back