New RT-1250 large griddle seasoning questions

Kacordy

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I just received my new 1250. Its Awesome! Yesterday I spent the day trying to season the large griddle with grape seed oil as recommended. I followed the red STOP sticker instructions. I spent six hours at 400 and 30 minute applications and my griddle has not and will not turn black. Now I have a griddle that has a thick shinny and sticky coating. What is my next step? How to I fix what I have so far? Thanks for the help and advice, Allen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 188
Ok, will do! Thanks for your help
Thats how my griddle looks. I honestly dont think you can get the dark black color with the heat of the grill that quickly. With a wok you can season it dark because of hot flames, dont have that with the grill. Just keep seasoning it every time you use it before you use it, letting it preheat, and then season after cleaning and let it sit in the grill as it cools down. It will just take time

If it's thick and sticky, then you probably put it on too thickly to start with. For seasoning, you only want a very light coat for each time. If you can see it run, then it's too thick for sure.
If it's bad, you'll probably be better off scraping it off and starting over if you want a good non-stick surface. There are tons of videos on seasoning cast iron out there. They'll all say mostly the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back