Bull New smoker questions

Arcwelder76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New smoker shows Wednesday and I have a few questions about pellets. I’ve always run fruit woods on pork and birds- pecan and a little hickory with beef. Since this is a whole new process for me via pellets; should I stick to the same concerning pellets or try out the blends that are so abundant ?

You will find the smoke flavor in a pellet grill vs a stick burner is far less distinct on what woods youre burning. Try and find what works for you, try the fruit woods and see if you can taste the fruit. Perhaps get a smoke tube to help push that mild fruit flavor into the meat

I can't tell a difference, maybe if I tried them side by side, which I haven't. Lousy palette I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was wondering if the flavor profiles was as pronounced with pellets vs stick burners. The starter kit I purchased has rt pellets included but I’ve never smoked with pellets. While I’ll do an initial burn in with the included pellets I’ll probably stick with what I’m familiar with when doing birds or out thanksgiving brisket. Thanks again for the feedback. Ordered Friday- shipped out Monday and have made a delivery appointment for Wednesday. Really looking forward to this new way of smoking. A brisket that doesn’t require 14 hours of constant attention….. I’ll be amazed if it lives up to the hype

I don’t really taste a huge differences between the pellet woods but I do see a difference in color of my end product. I use lumberjack pellets

There is a difference but it is pretty small. You won't notice much of a difference like you would if you were using a stick burner or even like a weber with adding in wood chunks.

I do still use some 100% varieties like 100% hickory when doing red meat. But I've learned over the years it doesn't make a big difference. If you want some added real wood smoke flavor(not subtle like pellets), use a smoke tube with pellets and wood chips(flavor you want) mixed in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back