Stampede New to Recteq 590…

Heatonist

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey All - made the move after 20 years using the Big Green Egg.

Quick question: I am blowing by my set point be 25 to 30 degrees on every cook. I’ve had the 590 a little over two weeks. Is this typical?

If once it goes past it returns to the set temp, then it’s normal for me, at least on startup. Mine always takes a bit to settle.

Welcome to the forum, @Heatonist; glad to have you join us here. Does the temperature stabilize after a few minutes? If so, like @padlin00 said, that’s normal. Even kitchen ovens do this; it is the nature of the b east.

Now, if you continue to get significant temperature swings over longer time periods, you may have an issue.

If once it goes past it returns to the set temp, then it’s normal for me, at least on startup. Mine always takes a bit to settle.
It does correct and hold, but can take 20-30 minutes to do so.

Thank you for the response!

It does correct and hold, but can take 20-30 minutes to do so.
That sounds quite normal and is why you’ll want to preheat your grill for at least 20 minutes before starting your cook.

As I noted in my earlier response, kitchen ovens work the same way. If you put a good remote digital thermometer in your kitchen oven, you will find a similar behavior; it is just hidden because we tend to rely on what the oven display tells us.

That sounds quite normal and is why you’ll want to preheat your grill for at least 20 minutes before starting your cook.

As I noted in my earlier response, kitchen ovens work the same way. If you put a good remote digital thermometer in your kitchen oven, you will find a similar behavior; it is just hidden because we tend to rely on what the oven display tells us.
Much obliged!!!

Might be worth checking the auger feed rate although I don’t know what the current recommendation is.

I never noticed such a large temp on startup. I'm going to do two St. Louis racks and some "choice" backribs I left in the freezer too long. Will closely monitor my Stampede as it settles at 225.

I don’t get those kind of swings even on startup. When do you close the lid?

The only other thing I can think of is is the thermostat bent.

I only time I’ve had issues where it wouldn’t settle fairly quick was when it was 10f out.

I fired up my 590 an hour ago. It reached my set temperature of 230f in 9 minutes. So far it's biggest swing was 234 a few minutes ago. That's been my experience since it was new.
EDIT. We have KitchenAid double ovens that take far too long to reach temperature. That's not the nature of ovens but is due to government interference.

20240328_124920.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds pretty new but not sure how often you’ve used. Biggest learning curve for myself was making sure the grill was cleaned (especially after long smokes or fatty burgers). The grease burnoff and buildup can cause temp to get too high during cooks esp at the beginning of the cook

One other thing i would say is sticking to recteq or higher quality pellets. I had to borrow from a neighbor mid cook one time (not sure what brand they were) and i noticed they were burning very fast and causing temp fluxes.

If the picture is accurate, the smoke tube will wreak havoc on your temperature’s stability. They generate additional BTUs and if improperly placed will cause the smoker to “hunt and chase” the temp, especially on the small pits. Are you using pellet tubes or any additional heat sources?

I use a smoke tube occasionally, I’ll have to pay closer attention to see if it “hunts”, if it has in the past I’ve not noticed.

There may be a difference in how long it takes to settle high heat vs low heat. Heatonist didn’t specify.

I use a smoke tube occasionally, I’ll have to pay closer attention to see if it “hunts”, if it has in the past I’ve not noticed.

There may be a difference in how long it takes to settle high heat vs low heat. Heatonist didn’t specify.
I have been using a smoke tube, but don’t put it until set point is reached and I place it at end opposite the thermostat. No hunting has occurred.

The last couple of cooks, I waited twenty minutes after reaching set point to begin the cook.

Minimized overshoot significantly…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back