Prices for Brisket

TheRicker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
A nice local butcher shop has prime grade whole briskets for $7/lb and grass-fed Wagyu briskets for $12/lb. Are those prices anywhere in the realm of reasonable?

The prime may be a tick high but in my experience the wagyu is right…

A nice local butcher shop has prime grade whole briskets for $7/lb and grass-fed Wagyu briskets for $12/lb. Are those prices anywhere in the realm of reasonable?
That is about the same price as I am seeing in Farmington, Missouri. Choice is anywhere from $3.99 - $5.49 a pound. Depending on where I am shopping. Paying as much for choice as I was paying for prime a few years ago.

Meat prices around here lately act like they were printed on a ping-pong ball; up one day and down another. Kinda like playing the commodities market.

Dallas Costco Prime packer brisket goes from $3.99/lb-$4.50/lb. Back before inflation a few years back, $2.99/lb was not abnormal to find

I looked at my CHS Costco Thursday. They had a good selection of “choice” briskets. I think it was $3.99/lb. They had three “prime” briskets for $5.49/lb…if I remember correctly.

With my limited experience trimming brisket, once, I felt like I trimmed a good bit off it. I look at those “prime” briskets and there appears to be even more fat to trim. Maybe I just need to get over myself and accept that I’m going to loose about a quarter of it trimming. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ll probably end up buying one anyway. I’m also considering cooking it in the (indoor, electric) oven, (And a hush fell over the crowd.). As much as I like smoked meat, my bride of 44 years isn’t as big a fan. 😣. Any recommendations on cooking it in the oven? Just use my same techniques/processes as I would on my RT-700?

I looked at my CHS Costco Thursday. They had a good selection of “choice” briskets. I think it was $3.99/lb. They had three “prime” briskets for $5.49/lb…if I remember correctly.

With my limited experience trimming brisket, once, I felt like I trimmed a good bit off it. I look at those “prime” briskets and there appears to be even more fat to trim. Maybe I just need to get over myself and accept that I’m going to loose about a quarter of it trimming. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ll probably end up buying one anyway. I’m also considering cooking it in the (indoor, electric) oven, (And a hush fell over the crowd.). As much as I like smoked meat, my bride of 44 years isn’t as big a fan. 😣. Any recommendations on cooking it in the oven? Just use my same techniques/processes as I would on my RT-700?
44 years is a long time to go without smoked brisket. You are surely worthy of your bride.

But to your question, I was thinking that maybe a convection oven would replicate the air flow of a smoker and develop bark better than a conventional oven. Not something you'd run out and get, but a lot of modern ovens have a dual mode. Also, someone mentioned to me that rubbing a beef bouillon paste on before cooking would help with bark building. I bought some, but haven't cooked a brisket in a while. Maybe next month, once I get my jeep running again.
beef paste.jpg

44 years is a long time to go without smoked brisket. You are surely worthy of your bride.

But to your question, I was thinking that maybe a convection oven would replicate the air flow of a smoker and develop bark better than a conventional oven. Not something you'd run out and get, but a lot of modern ovens have a dual mode. Also, someone mentioned to me that rubbing a beef bouillon paste on before cooking would help with bark building. I bought some, but haven't cooked a brisket in a while. Maybe next month, once I get my jeep running again.View attachment 21727
On rib roasts I do something similar. I open one or two packets of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix and make a paste by mixing in some olive oil. I spread that on top and roast it. It’s a fave at my house. I sometimes add some finely chopped herbage such as rosemary.

But to your question, I was thinking that maybe a convection oven would replicate the air flow of a smoker and develop bark better than a conventional oven. Not something you'd run out and get, but a lot of modern ovens have a dual mode. Also, someone mentioned to me that rubbing a beef bouillon paste on before cooking would help with bark building. I bought some, but haven't cooked a brisket in a while. Maybe next month, once I get my jeep running again.View attachment 21727
Oh…I didn’t mean to imply I never smoke brisket or other meats. It’s just my bride sometimes wants beef/meat without the smoke.

Women are from Venus…Men are from Mars. 😊

On rib roasts I do something similar. I open one or two packets of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix and make a paste by mixing in some olive oil. I spread that on top and roast it. It’s a fave at my house. I sometimes add some finely chopped herbage such as rosemary.
I like this!

Cut it in half and cook both ways....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back