No wrap baby back ribs.

epcotisbest

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
With so many different ways to go about cooking ribs, I decided today to do no wrap, no sauce, just put 'em on and let 'em ride.
225 for 6.5 hours with just some mustard binder and simple rub. They were 197 degrees internal when they probed tender and bent nicely.
Turned our very flavorful, moist and tender with just the right amount of bite to them. "Fall off the bone is highly overrated."

Ribs1.jpg
Ribs2.jpg
Ribs3.jpg

With so many different ways to go about cooking ribs, I decided today to do no wrap, no sauce, just put 'em on and let 'em ride.
225 for 6.5 hours with just some mustard binder and simple rub. They were 197 degrees internal when they probed tender and bent nicely.
Turned our very flavorful, moist and tender with just the right amount of bite to them. "Fall off the bone is highly overrated."

View attachment 19919View attachment 19920View attachment 19921
I am with you, I never met a rib I didn’t like! I have been cooking ribs o pellet grills for 20 years. I’ve tried everything I have heard of. My favorite, low and slow, No wrap!

Nice smoke ring. They look tasty.

I do have two questions. Did you do any spritzing during the cook? And, did you do much trimming and/or taking off the membrane?

I’m going to try “no wrap”. I like the less work part.

I do have two questions. Did you do any spritzing during the cook? And, did you do much trimming and/or taking off the membrane?

I’ve had my Bull for about 2 years. I’ve tried wrapping, not wrapping, commercial rubs, homemade rubs, etc…. In my limited experience, as I know there are others who have doing it a lot longer than me, my cooks have taught me that I prefer peeling off the membrane, make up a homemade rub (more flavor, way less salt) with a mustard binder (plain yellow, Dijon, spicy brown all good). I put them on at 225 and let them ride unwrapped until they pass the bend test. I do like to spritz about once an hour with 50/50 apple juice/ACV. If I’m pressed for time I have bumped up the temp to as high as 275 when I know they are getting close just to move things along. While I do like fall off the bone ribs, I’ve found that I prefer the bark and the little bit of chew that results from cooking without wrapping.

I forgot to mention I did spritz every hour with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water.
These came from the store with the membrane already off or I would have removed it.
No trimming at all.

Those look pretty doggone good to me. But six and a half hours? That seems like a long time for BB. I did baby backs on tuesday, the day after Hillary hit our area with heavy rain. I did a modified 321 which you could hardly call 321 and I would say 5.5 hours. Wrapped for awhile and brushed lightly with G. Hughes sugar free bbq sauce. I like it so much that I haven't made my own sauce for quite awhile. Pulled way back off the bone and a little bit too done for my taste, but fine for my wife. She likes FOTB more than I do. 225 all the way and spritzed on the half hour after 2 hours. Sorry if my method is to highly scientific and Technical for most of you.

Nice looking ribs. I prefer the no wrap ribs. They seem to have more texture and the bark is always better than the 3-2-1 method. Also I am inherently lazy and "put 'em on and take 'em off" method is easier.

Membrane on but scored, cook/smoke at 245 for 1.5 hours, wrap in foil for 1 hour, then unwrap and crank grill to 300 and glaze with a thinned out BBQ sauce, typically done to my liking in about 20/30 minutes more of cooking with a perfect crust and bend........so good and so quick. So many great ways to do ribs, but the 3-2-1 method IMHO isn't ideal or necessary at all, same goes for so low and slow unwrapped. :)

"Fall off the bone is highly overrated."
Couldn't agree more - to me that's "oh S#!T I overcooked them". Crock pot ribs are a different story - when there's 4 ft of snow out there. ;) Crock pot ribs are ribs..... don't call them BBQ.

I had spares Friday. Did not STL them, only 4 fit on the 1070. 1hr @ Lo, 3 hours @ 275, spritz every 30min and sauce at the end (half Korean BBQ and half Kinder's).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back