Other than common things like pulled pork, brisket, etc, what's your favorite thing to smoke on the RecTeq?

Water. I know, it sounds weird, but.... :) Smoked cocktails are a bit of a craze right now, and it just made sense to me that if I could infuse the ice with some smoke, that would accomplish the same thing as the crazy smoke contraptions that some people use. So, I fill a disposable aluminum pan with ice, and throw that in when I'm cooking something else. About 45-60 minutes of smoke is fine, then I make ice cubes in the cocktail mold that i've got (makes four round ice "cubes"), and make smoked ice. Mix up an old fashioned with your favorite bourbon, and pour it over smoked ice.....subtle, but noticeable smokiness.

....you did ask for not normal, right? :)

R

Water for freezing (already mentioned above), salt, paprika, herbs such as rosemary (especially good when chopped and added to the smoked salt). I’ve also smoked fresh tomato sauce and fresh salsa prior to canning, makes a nice combo. Just about any pepper benefits from smoking/char before use. Smoking hard boil eggs is interesting, but as a precaution, a little smoke on eggs goes a long way. Some of these are doable on any recteq grill, but other than the peppers and tomato sauce/salsa, I typically cold smoke with a smoke tube in the smoke box of my Bull.

I’ve cautioned here before about smoking something while hot smoking other foods as the secondary item will some of the flavor of what you are cooking ie smoking water while smoking pork.

One of the best things I’ve made on the Trailblazer is the bruschetta stuffed portobello mushrooms per the recipe on the Recteq site. The first time I bought all the ingredients and made it from scratch and it was unbelievable. The second time I bought the pre-made bruschetta and it was not nearly as good, but still not bad.

Olives, artichokes, salt, cheese, nuts and chocolate are some of my faves. Low-smoked (~180 deg. or cold with smoke tube) olives and artichokes are amazing. Most types of olives do really well with this. And I usually take a jar of artichokes (from Costco) and put them in a disposable pan. Both only take about 45 min to get a good smoky flavor, then you can even put them back in the original jar to keep in the fridge.
Of course, the usual cold-smoked cheese is fantastic, too. Lots of good tips & guidance on the web for cheese, including how to safely vacuum seal & store.

Basically, what do you smoke on the RecTeq that other people wouldn't think about?
A few weeks ago I did a cast iron skillet apple pie on the Recteq Bull and the wife swears it's the best apple pie she's ever had.

Otherwise for me smoked turkey is where it's at on these things. I have never stocked up on turkey except for Thanksgiving. Now that has completely changed. I now always have whole turkeys and turkey breasts in my deep freezer so I can enjoy smoked turkey year round.

I did a deep dish pizza in the cast skillet. 450F for 30 minutes. Turned out great. Papa Murphy's has pellet grill instructions on their website, it turns out much better than the oven. I was motivated by this forum to try meatloaf and I now like meatloaf again. Stuffed pork loin. Those are some of my favorites.

Water. I know, it sounds weird, but.... :) Smoked cocktails are a bit of a craze right now, and it just made sense to me that if I could infuse the ice with some smoke, that would accomplish the same thing as the crazy smoke contraptions that some people use. So, I fill a disposable aluminum pan with ice, and throw that in when I'm cooking something else. About 45-60 minutes of smoke is fine, then I make ice cubes in the cocktail mold that i've got (makes four round ice "cubes"), and make smoked ice. Mix up an old fashioned with your favorite bourbon, and pour it over smoked ice.....subtle, but noticeable smokiness.

....you did ask for not normal, right? :)

R
Reminds me of this smokey cocktail I had on a cruise.

View attachment 7144

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
Olives, artichokes, salt, cheese, nuts and chocolate are some of my faves. Low-smoked (~180 deg. or cold with smoke tube) olives and artichokes are amazing. Most types of olives do really well with this. And I usually take a jar of artichokes (from Costco) and put them in a disposable pan. Both only take about 45 min to get a good smoky flavor, then you can even put them back in the original jar to keep in the fridge.
Of course, the usual cold-smoked cheese is fantastic, too. Lots of good tips & guidance on the web for cheese, including how to safely vacuum seal & store.
This is interesting. Nuts and olives get a smokey flavor?

I had heard Aldi's had good frozen pizza so I picked one up and threw it on the gas grill. Came out like one would expect from frozen pizza. I would think you'd get the same results from the smoker on high.

In the smoker I use either a cast iron skillet. or pizza stones. I like how I can see the pizza without opening the cover on the 340.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back