Pellet build up in fire pot

Grillmatt

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok, need some input (help). Last 4-5 cooks grill hasn’t heated up as it should, very slow to get temp. Tons of smoke coming out pellet hopper. Cleaned fire pot out and noticed an excessive build up for amount of grilling I’d done since last clean out. Tonite, same thing so I emptied pellet hopper (pia) and nothings stuck in hopper as it turns, but pellets in fire pit didn’t looked burned properly and it was very full. Auger issues maybe? Advice? Thx

Can you hear the fan running? Sounds to be like it might not be and there’s not enough draft to keep the fire burning properly.

Last edited:
Yes, the fan works. Going to try new pellets first I guess but they were dry and fine to my knowledge

Adjust igniter rod closer to pellets, and are you adding pellets to pot when you clean it out so it's not empty when you are in ignition mode? Pellets that have too much moisture will also smolder/smoke too much and much harder to ignite cleanly.

Too much Ash and Clinkers in the Fire Pot
If you're using Knotty Wood Pellets, I'll bet the above is what you'll find is the cause
They are GREAT Pellets, but you need to clean-out the Fire Por after every Cook
Good Luck

What bot alert mean? So, cooked ribs for 5 hours with new pellets, no issues what do ever. Guessing it was a bad batch? Thx all

Bot alert.
Happy Cartoon GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back