Pellet longevity

Smokin Lou

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just curious if anyone has any problems with leaving pellets in the grill for period of time. If I use my smoker and then I don't use it for a week or two weeks or a month will the pellets remaining in the hopper and auger absorb water and possibly clog up the hopper or jam the auger. Would it be better when I finish smoking to let the pellets continue to burn until they are all burned out?

I've only ever gone 2 weeks longest without using mine. In that time there were no issues with the pellets in the hopper. I did put my extra Lavalock on the pellet lid. (For the hell of it) not sure if that factors it at all.

Just curious if anyone has any problems with leaving pellets in the grill for period of time. If I use my smoker and then I don't use it for a week or two weeks or a month will the pellets remaining in the hopper and auger absorb water and possibly clog up the hopper or jam the auger. Would it be better when I finish smoking to let the pellets continue to burn until they are all burned out?
I've had pellets in the hopper for months and never had a problem in Connecticut's weather.

Last edited:
With the Rec Tec holding 40# in the older 680's like I have and the new 700's having the same pellets in the hopper for awhile is normal. Unless, if you have a pellet vac and or choose to change types, flavors or brands or not fill your hopper up all the way. I am pretty much set on what I like for pellets and fill the hopper to the brim. That being said, I have had the same pellets in the hopper in the Wisconsin weather with the Rec Tec outside 24/7 occasionally covered with never an issue. These pellets of course have varying life from the time I put them in until burning them up depending on weather and cooks. I do not have my hopper lid sealed other than what came from the factory almost 7 years ago. I am not saying that you cannot get moisture in but given the changes of seasons we have and the exposure my 680 gets I would not be overly concerned. I only use Cookin Pellets though so I cannot speak of other pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back