Pellet Recommendations

Buckeye1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
New to Rec Tec. I was looking for some general pellet recommendations such as best value, clean burn, ect. Or more importantly pellets to stay away from.

Lumberjack is pretty popular on here. They offer 100% single hardwoods as well as hardwood blends. Most of their bags are $15/20lbs. Just got 80lbs delivered for free from Dicks Sporting Goods last week.

Lumberjack seems to be the gold standard. I love them. Rural King is currently selling 20# bags for $8.88 per bag.

I like RecTec's blend, but want try lumberjack. I understand Lumberjack bags them for RT anyway.
want to try 100% hickory too. I ho-e I will be able to notice the tastes

Wow seems pretty much Lumberjack is the majority. Thanks for the advice.

I have been very happy with the Rec Tec comp blend myself, but have also been using Lumberjack and been happy with them too.

The Rec Tec blend seems, to me, to burn a little cleaner. Both have a great flavor.

Lumberjack seems very popular. I have not found LumberJack locally, so I have not tried them. I have used a lot of the Rec Tec pellets that came with my package. i am done to a little over 40 lbs out of 200 of the rec tec blend. I have tried a blend from Sams $15/40lb. They worked good to me. I have also used PitBoss Apple, Hickory and a Hickory Blend at 16/40lb or 9/20lb. All have been pretty good so far.

Walmart in my neck of the woods carry Pit Boss pellets of various flavors. It appears to be of excellent quality. I picked up a bag of apple, but I haven't used it yet.

I've been happy with Lumberjack and CookingPellets so far. I didn't think the RT blend that comes with their smokers were bad either.

I use Lumberjack . Great prices at Rural king 8.99 for 20 lbs bag. I buy 10 bags at a time of different types.

The problem is I use the rectec so much I may need to start buying more each time ;)

Add my vote. LJ and RecTec. Ran RecTec comp blend tonight for Ribs and burned VERY clean at 225 degrees. Very light blue (color) smoke. Clean burning. Good taste.

I've used RT Ult Blend that came with the Bull package and also straight Lumberjack Cherry, Pitboss Apple and Mesquite. I've blended them as well. I mix them in a 5 gal bucket.

I think the RT Ult Blend burns nicely, but it isn't my favorite smoke flavor profile. My Bull package came with 400 lbs of RT Ult Blend, so I want to use it. But I've found myself using other pellets. So, I've taken to blending in other pellets with it. For pork, chicken, fish, and cheese, I've blended Lumberjack Cherry, Pitboss Apple, and the RT Ult Blend, equal parts each and it has been a nice flavor. For beef, I blended equal parts Pitboss Mesquite and RT Ult Blend and like the results.

If I could only use one wood type, I'm torn between apple and cherry. Either would work for me on almost any type of meet or cheese.

When the RT Ult Blend is gone, I think Lumberjack Apple, Cherry, or Mesquite would be in my pit most of the time.

Experiment a little and see what blends work for you.

I've used RT Ult Blend that came with the Bull package and also straight Lumberjack Cherry, Pitboss Apple and Mesquite. I've blended them as well. I mix them in a 5 gal bucket.

I think the RT Ult Blend burns nicely, but it isn't my favorite smoke flavor profile. My Bull package came with 400 lbs of RT Ult Blend, so I want to use it. But I've found myself using other pellets. So, I've taken to blending in other pellets with it. For pork, chicken, fish, and cheese, I've blended Lumberjack Cherry, Pitboss Apple, and the RT Ult Blend, equal parts each and it has been a nice flavor. For beef, I blended equal parts Pitboss Mesquite and RT Ult Blend and like the results.

If I could only use one wood type, I'm torn between apple and cherry. Either would work for me on almost any type of meet or cheese.

When the RT Ult Blend is gone, I think Lumberjack Apple, Cherry, or Mesquite would be in my pit most of the time.

Experiment a little and see what blends work for you.
You must have a lot of time on your hands to go through this ritual, LOL

Dicks, the sporting goods store, carries Lumberjack pellets. Easy pick-up. Great product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back