Please DON'T read unless you're seated!

Just for fun I weighed the trimmings from my prime brisket this evening at 5.41 lbs off an untrimmed weight of 18.14. Cost was 59.50 @ 3.28/lb, so the cost per trimmed lb is 4.67. Cheap labor.

I just got a 17lb Primepacker at the Knoxville Costco for $2.99/lb. Then I went to Kroger and saw they have Choice packers for $1.99. Hmmm, for $17 extra for the Prime, will it be worth it? I think I have always used Choice...

Just for fun I weighed the trimmings from my prime brisket this evening at 5.41 lbs off an untrimmed weight of 18.14. Cost was 59.50 @ 3.28/lb, so the cost per trimmed lb is 4.67. Cheap labor.
Chuckies have been going for $5.99 - $6.99 around here, $ 4.67 for cheap labor on a Brisket is a good deal.

I have mentioned high meat prices before but this is absolutely insane. This is definitely going to slow my smoke experimentation days:

View attachment 8457
And in my humble opinion it is far from worth it. Costco, nor any of the other major food chains to my knowledge, dry-age their beef. Dry aging imparts a nice texture and a great beefy, some say buttered popcorn flavor, and is used by all of the major steakhouses in the country. They will dry age that beef 30 and 40 days, creating a lot of waste. And I suspect that is one reason the chains don't do it. It naturally costs more. Another is it takes time and extra steps over wet aging, which really isn't aging at all in my opinion. And kind of a disgusting thing, as I've had it explained to me. So yeah, they can call it Prime, and it may be well marbled, although probably grass-fed I not grain finished. So they can call it whatever they want, I call it at $5 a pound meat. End of rant. And yes, I was Nebraska born and bred.

I just got a 17lb Primepacker at the Knoxville Costco for $2.99/lb. Then I went to Kroger and saw they have Choice packers for $1.99. Hmmm, for $17 extra for the Prime, will it be worth it? I think I have always used Choice...

Personally I haven't been impressed with Kroger's briskets when I've gotten them in the past. In my opinion the ones from Costco are worth the extra $$$, but of course YMMV.

I was at Costco today and they had the prime brisket for $2.69/lb and the Wagyu brisket for $4.99/lb. Both are the cheapest I've ever seen at our local Costco.

The only beef I really like at Krogers is the Nolan Ryan 34 Prime. They have been some of the best steaks I've cooked.

If we get those stimulus checks, maybe the wife will let me buy some of those $99/lb Waygu steaks to see how they compare. I mean she is a science teacher, she should be up for a taste experiment.

I just came back from my local Costco with a $2.99 per pound "Prime" brisket. I'm sure it will taste better than those $9.99 briskets :giggle:

that has to be an error. Briskets are at Kroger for choice 1.99 costco for prime 3.79.

It was a Costly error for Costco at least for that day.
If it was an error, you would think it was only a 1 day error. If they sell as fast as they do here, you would think someone in the meat department would notice none were selling and investigate.

Marked up for Passover? Label error? We’re they all that price? I get strips for that.

Have you been back since you took this pic to see if the price was the same?
Yes, I went back and purchased a whole prime brisket for 2.99 per pound which is in the freezer.

Yes, I went back and purchased a whole prime brisket for 2.99 per pound which is in the freezer.
So it appears that was a mistake or some kind of weird short lived spike in price. I have gotten their prime fillet mignon for $5.99/lb before when it is normally $18.99/lb. I assumed at the time it was just a price mistake for that batch they had out there. I also look over all the briskets they have to make sure they are all priced the same. I've found if they still have some from the previous day out they are sometimes cheaper per pound. I assume the price difference is just from price differences in the shipments they get in.

So it appears that was a mistake or some kind of weird short lived spike in price. I have gotten their prime fillet mignon for $5.99/lb before when it is normally $18.99/lb. I assumed at the time it was just a price mistake for that batch they had out there. I also look over all the briskets they have to make sure they are all priced the same. I've found if they still have some from the previous day out they are sometimes cheaper per pound. I assume the price difference is just from price differences in the shipments they get in.
It appears to be spikes but higher hamburger prices remained.

Kroger has a sale every couple months. $1.99 lb for USDA Choice or sometimes they slip a few Prime's in there too. I stock up then. Got two in the freezer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back