Please, Just give this a try @ 300°.

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I had gone to Sams club and picked up a few things and a 7.8lb butt as well. I froze it for a week and then thawed it for 2 days in the fridge then brined it for 10 hours. I wanted to cook something for my mom and the Bulls low and slow method just isn't to her liking. So the next morning I rinsed and dryed it. I garlic and onion powdered the outside all over (plus a little pepper on top) and stuck it back in the fridge for an hour or so. Into a disposable aluminum pan fat side up in the Bull on 300° and cooked it to 210°by probe. 5 1/2 hours later (+30 min covered rest) we had the best pulled pork we have ever had. Mom is not so big on the heavy smoky flavor or the thick slightly dried/hard edges low and slow sometimes create (that could be me not smoking it right). I knew that 300° would burn much cleaner (less smoke) and the cook would be fast and not so tedious. I did remove the juices once using a baster as there was way to much, as I did this I basted the thing very well.

So I ask of you, the next time you are going to cook something not so special just for a meal please try this. It is a much different style of pork roast and it is very, very good.

I have to reitereate something here as well, it is such a pleasure to have a pellet grill that is so good it is always within 2degrees of it's cook temp. Using a pan and this cooker together makes this cook almost effortless.

Brine
For every 1 quart of water, 1/4 cup table salt (not pickling salt) and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Stir until melted.
Add some ice (and stir) to the water to cool it down before submerging (completely submerged).
A dozen or so pepper corns (or a couple teaspoons of pepper) in total not per quart.
Score the fat cap

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back