Porchetta

If you still have any skin left, just pan fry it. I guess we can call it julienne, cut thin matchstick pieces of the skin, throw it in a hot pan - add a splash of vinegar (I don't know why) and you'll have an edible crispy snack. That's how my Philippino(sp?) friend told me to do it - it works. Sprinkle a little salt on at the end.
@TheRicker It looks beautiful!

One thing that is different in your prep and mine is that I score the flesh and poke holes in the skin. Not sure if you did that.

"Flip belly skin side up. Using a pairing knife, poke dozens of 1/8" deep holes through skin all over belly. Don't be gentle. Keep poking."

The tiny holes poked all throughout the skin (and yes, this is a long process) allows the fat to drain and baste the skin as it cooks. I've included a photo of my mom poking holes in the pork belly. As you can see, it's a tedious process. Pull up a chair and get poking.

To get the skin to have the crackling effect, you would have to raise the temps real high on the grill (and risk the grease fire) or drop it in a pot of screaming hot oil so to crisp up the skin after the cook.

The skin on mine is very crunchy but flat, not crackled up.

But as I mentioned, I only do this in an oven.

View attachment 18505

View attachment 18506

View attachment 18507
I should have done that as you described…even though I got it prepped and tied at the butcher shop. In retrospect, I think that would’ve made a big difference. And I can see from your pics that you got that blistering effect I read about. Looks super good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back