Post Boston butt test cook observation/question..

FreakDawg76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So yesterday I stayed up post shift and threw an 8.5 lb butt on the 700 at 225 .. I also used a smoke tube for the first time. The cook itself went fine, and the meat was tender af! What it didn’t have was the extra smoky flavor that I was expecting.. I noticed that the tube burned itself out in about an hour, like down to a little ash.. I was putting a combo of chips, and pellets in it.. Shoukf it have lasted longer? Like I said, this was just a test cook so im not overly broken up about it as it came out pretty damn tasty otherwise!

So yesterday I stayed up post shift and threw an 8.5 lb butt on the 700 at 225 .. I also used a smoke tube for the first time. The cook itself went fine, and the meat was tender af! What it didn’t have was the extra smoky flavor that I was expecting.. I noticed that the tube burned itself out in about an hour, like down to a little ash.. I was putting a combo of chips, and pellets in it.. Shoukf it have lasted longer? Like I said, this was just a test cook so im not overly broken up about it as it came out pretty damn tasty otherwise!
Depends in part on how long your smoke tube is. I find the 12” tubes will last 3-4 hours.

I don't use a smoke tube often, but when I do I pack chunks (not chips) of wood in with pellets and get at least 3 to 4 hours as @Greg Jones mentioned.

2022-11-08_16-02-36.jpg

The tube needs air flow. I usually put in the back left corner and put a piece of foil to propt up the end with the pellets. But honestly, sometimes mine go out. Not usually though. Getting the pellet tube going for like 20 minutes usually helps. I treat it like the amount of time to get a chimney going.

My 2c try “Cookin Pellets” Hickory.
Great smoke. They advised the hickory pellets can be overwhelming above 6 hours for some folks.
I enjoy them!

Thanks for being an active poster @FreakDawg76

The tube needs air flow.
The tubes are full of holes for O2 coming in and smoke exiting. You need physical continuity of burning stuff to fresh fuel to keep the fire/smoke flowing. An air gap in the material will cause the burn to smolder out prematurely.

Getting the pellet tube going for like 20 minutes usually helps.
Absolutely right. I blast the heck out of the top inch or so of the smoke tube with a plumber's torch so the metal glows red. I let it burn for at least 15 minutes before putting it in the grill. On occasion I actually have to blow out the flame.

Absolutely right. I blast the heck out of the top inch or so of the smoke tube with a plumber's torch so the metal glows red. I let it burn for at least 15 minutes before putting it in the grill. On occasion I actually have to blow out the flame.
Exactly the same other then I shoot for 10 min startup. I’ve never had it go out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back