Potential Problems Using RT-700 on a screened-in porch

JamesB

After years of being the Blue Plate Special for mosquitoes while sitting on my side porch, I’m having it screened in. That’s also where my RT-700 lives so I’m wondering if I’m creating a new problem for myself?

Has anyone else had problems using their pellet grill in a fully screened-in location? If so, what were the problems?

Any comments, suggestions, etc., will be appreciated.

Thanks

After years of being the Blue Plate Special for mosquitoes while sitting on my side porch, I’m having it screened in. That’s also where my RT-700 lives so I’m wondering if I’m creating a new problem for myself?

Has anyone else had problems using their pellet grill in a fully screened-in location? If so, what were the problems?

Thanks
If it’s raining, I’ve used mine on my screened porch. But it has a 9’ or 10’ ceiling. Plus, there is usually good air flow from the south side to the north side. My screened porch covers the area between my house and the detached garage. So it may be different than others. I think the airflow and ceiling height help in my situation.

If the smoke kind of just hung in a two- or three-screen sided porch, I could see where that’s a problem.

Have my flagship in a screens in porch under a roof . Never have any smoke issues or anything else. I do have a ceiling fan and usually have it on when I’m outside .

I don’t have mine under a cover but my friend did it with his unit. His ceiling is about 10 feet and after a full season of cooking the screen and surrounding wood in the ceiling started looking pretty grungy. The constant exposure to smoke tinted the screen material and the smell impregnated his screened in porch and it now smells like a BBQ restaurant (which I like to visit but don’t live there). If you can include a ceiling fan in your plans that has a reversible motor, you may be able to fight off some of the issues but if you have ever looked at the ceiling of a BBQ joint, it is only a matter of time before the soot starts to collect. YMMV, let us know how it turns out.

This was my solution to smoke in my outdoor kitchen area.

IMG_9570.jpeg

IMG_0293.png

Yes your screen will take on smoke smell and suit...Think of a back up plan...

Thanks
No problem here since I got this fan to push the smoke out.

IMG_1776.jpeg

I use my 700 and Bullseye in a screened in porch during rains and the winter months. The ceiling is white coated metal about eight feet high. I do get some yellowish smoke residue stains after a season on the ceiling, metal trim and screens. What I do is spray LA's Awesome Cleaner from Dollar General all over and then hose it down. This stuff works wonders on the smoke stains and the grills. I may use a broom sometimes to help the cleaner spread more, especially on the screens.

I appreciate all of your thoughts, responses, and suggestions. They have been very helpful. Thank you all. Here’s my result after taking them into account.

I have a 10 foot ceiling, it’s already painted a very dark brown so staining isn’t an issue from my perspective.

I used a Weber kettle under the same roof for over 20 years, and with exception of some grease smoke related buildup on the decorative aluminum wrap covering all of the wood directly below the ceiling, (which easily scrubs off in the Spring) I’ve never had a problem with staining or odor because the airflow through the porch NE to SE generally, is pretty strong.

Taking into account how that airflow is likely to decrease with screens, I’m having an electrician install a powerful, exterior durable ceiling fan next week.

I’ve also selected a dark brown color for the wood framing, the screen frames, and the doors (one on each end), so an annual Spring wipe-down of the framing should help.

With smoke/grease buildup in mind, my contractor suggested fiberglass screens because they are relatively easy to clean with detergent and a hose, and relatively cheap and easy to replace if necessary.

Again, thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts, opinions, and suggestions. They have genuinely helped in the construction decision-making process.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back