Recteq WiFi Controller and problems with Dynalink WRX36

tickerguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Beware a potential issue while "pairing" the Recteq grills and certain WiFi access poins, specifically those with the same WiFi controller in it that the Dynalinks have. This is an IPQ WiFi controller which has a history being a bit "glitchy" in other ways as well, but not like this.

Fortunately this is not one of the more-popular hardware options for that, but that controller IS showing up in WiFi-6 capable units, of which that AP is, and it appears there's a very serious compatibility problem in the IPQ closed-source firmware. I am running OpenWRT on mine, but the crash is not in OpenWRT; it is in the closed-source driver for the chipset, so I have to presume it will screw you equally whether you're using a open source WiFi AP software package like OpenWRT or the factory load.

If you get hit by this as soon as you put the grill in "pairing" mode the entire AP will go dead to RF. The crash is immediate and 100% repeatable. It is still accessible from the LAN or WAN ports, but the radios are crashed as the stack crashes internally and cannot be reset -- even resetting the radios in the software doesn't help, you have to reboot the unit.

Fortunately I had an older AP laying around and, once the unit was "paired" using it and the same SSID and password, plugging the WRX back in resulted in the grill immediately connecting and it is working perfectly well. This is definitely not Recteq's "fault" in that whatever they're doing during the pair process that causes it should never be able to crash the WiFi's stack, even if they were sending something completely bogus, which I assume they're not.

I've got an open post on this over at OpenWRT's forum -- but if you go to pair a grill with your WiFi AP and as soon as you put it in "fast flash" mode the AP goes dead to all RF that's what's happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back