Prime Rib Dilemma

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I picked up a smaller 4lb prime rib today with one bone still in it. What say you? Should I remove it first or leave it?

if I leave it do I still need to tie it?Should I tie it at all? Any other tips are appreciated.

If you remove the bone I would definitely tie it to keep the "tail" from being overcooked. IMO the singular bone won't add any perceivable flavor or positive/improved cooking result. Now, trim it with some additional meat left on the bone and you'll have a meal/snack that will be a treat at some other point in time. Or trim the bone close and add it to other saved beef bone for stock making.

I see what you mean. Cut right at the bone and still came away with a nice meaty rib. Might just sous vide that sucker and throw it on with the rest for a while to smoke. Dry brining now with a little kosher salt. Can’t wait for NYD.

thanks

Smoke that rib like you would any beef or pork rib. Add rub, 3,2,1 ish any you'll have fantastic beef rib. I did a larger roast bone on. When the roast was medium rare, I cut the ribs off in one rack added rub, smoked and they were incredible.

Tie your roasts to keep them from expanding and for a more even cook.

This is the second time that I have seen someone talk about Sous Vide before smoking and the last person couldn't or wouldn't explain why the Sous Vide before the smoke. What am I missing here?

In my mind the smoke period replaces the Sous Vide. IMM the Sous Vide is for "precooking" you bring it up to a predetermined temp and then sear. Smoking does the same thing but adds smoke flavor. YUMM The Sous Vide in addition to the smoke seems like an unnecessary extra step. What am I missing?

I was just talking about doing the one rib in the sous vide to give it more of a traditional rib texture and finish on the smoker but honestly such a prime cut didn’t need the sous vide.

the prime rib turned out perfect. About 3 hours on the stampede at 225 then seared on a skillet to finish. Cooked perfectly to 130 degrees once all said and done.
1321C82B-B5C7-4C82-B03D-C7BC0E217521.jpeg

Sure looks good. I just picked up a boneless 5# to try out this weekend, if time and Mother Nature cooperate. Thinking of doing a reverse sear after several hours of smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back