Proud owner of a new RT340 in Ohio

Keister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hello all, just received my RT340 about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was seriously debating on bumping up to the RT590 but with the last kid getting ready to go off to college we figured that the RT340 would probably be big enough to suit our needs. This is my first experience with a pellet grill so it has taken me a few small cooks to get used to it but now that I am, man, this is sooo easy and convenient! I have been smoking and grilling for years, I've used gas and a Weber kettle grill for just grilling and for about the last 16 years I have used a UDS (ugly drum smoker) for smoking. I have to admit I have turned a lot of really good bbq on the UDS but I found it to be more of a pain to use the busier life got. I have been wanting to try a pellet grill/smoker for years and I am so glad that I finally took the plunge. The PID technology and the wifi makes smoking and grilling an absolute breeze, I'm so glad to be part of the RECTEC family. I have used this little sucker almost everyday since I got it and sometimes more than once a day. The family likes to tease me about my new obsession, but they have never complained about all the grub on the table. :) Anyhow, nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning new tricks about using pellet smokers and trying some new recipes. This forum seems to have a wealth of information, I'm glad I happened upon it.

Hello all, just received my RT340 about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was seriously debating on bumping up to the RT590 but with the last kid getting ready to go off to college we figured that the RT340 would probably be big enough to suit our needs. This is my first experience with a pellet grill so it has taken me a few small cooks to get used to it but now that I am, man, this is sooo easy and convenient! I have been smoking and grilling for years, I've used gas and a Weber kettle grill for just grilling and for about the last 16 years I have used a UDS (ugly drum smoker) for smoking. I have to admit I have turned a lot of really good bbq on the UDS but I found it to be more of a pain to use the busier life got. I have been wanting to try a pellet grill/smoker for years and I am so glad that I finally took the plunge. The PID technology and the wifi makes smoking and grilling an absolute breeze, I'm so glad to be part of the RECTEC family. I have used this little sucker almost everyday since I got it and sometimes more than once a day. The family likes to tease me about my new obsession, but they have never complained about all the grub on the table. :) Anyhow, nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning new tricks about using pellet smokers and trying some new recipes. This forum seems to have a wealth of information, I'm glad I happened upon it.
Welcome and congrats on the RT340 there's lots worse things out there to be obsessed with.

Welcome!............I'm with you on how easy Rec Tec grills make BBQ'ng alright. Every tool has it's place for sure. But I just love the easy consistent results I get with my RT, which in the end means I find I use it more than any of the other several pieces of equipment I own. You'll find a lot of great, helpful and positive folks here too!

Welcome! If your gonna bump up, go with the RT-700!
It’s awesome!
BA38A674-9297-414F-A95E-3EA54035E98B.jpeg

Attachments

• AB44BA5C-490F-4217-85CA-4C8684F65263.jpeg
    AB44BA5C-490F-4217-85CA-4C8684F65263.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 7BD30DC5-5106-41EE-972A-AB1F48B60491.jpeg
    7BD30DC5-5106-41EE-972A-AB1F48B60491.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 0B5D2D82-1907-4339-B509-AF3E91FD41B8.jpeg
    0B5D2D82-1907-4339-B509-AF3E91FD41B8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Welcome!............I'm with you on how easy Rec Tec grills make BBQ'ng alright. Every tool has it's place for sure. But I just love the easy consistent results I get with my RT, which in the end means I find I use it more than any of the other several pieces of equipment I own. You'll find a lot of great, helpful and positive folks here too!
Thanks for the welcome Infantryman!

Welcome! If your gonna bump up, go with the RT-700!
It’s awesome!View attachment 4797
Oh, that looks awesome Sdyork. And don’t be fooled, a Bull is on my list for sure, but being the first time I used a pellet smoker I wanted to “try one on” first. If the family starts growing again in the near future, I’m “afraid to say” the smoker must as well!! ??

... but with the last kid getting ready to go off to college we figured that the RT340 would probably be big enough to suit our needs. This is my first experience with a pellet grill so it has taken me a few small cooks to get used to it but now that I am, man, this is sooo easy and convenient! ...

I went with the RT340 for two reasons. It's my first experience with a pellet grill as well and it's basically me that I'm cooking for. However, the more I share the more requests that are made so I may be upgrading after I get more experience LOLOL. If you haven't done so yet, get the combo pack of sauce and rubs. Good stuff.

I went with the RT340 for two reasons. It's my first experience with a pellet grill as well and it's basically me that I'm cooking for. However, the more I share the more requests that are made so I may be upgrading after I get more experience LOLOL. If you haven't done so yet, get the combo pack of sauce and rubs. Good stuff.
Are they pretty good? I was debating back and forth between the Rectec rubs/sauces and Lane's BBQ rubs and sauces, I ended up going w/ Lane's b/c I had a discount code, I'll have to give them a try when I get running low.
I may be looking to get the RT590 or the Bull sooner than anticipated if I continue to get requests to cook for people. I made a pretty big brisket for Father's Day and raw, it barely fit inside the RT340, then shrunk down nicely. :) It came out really good tho and had a great smoke ring.
IMG_0898.jpg

Yummy!!! Nice job. I haven't tried all of the rubs yet but the ones I have tried (Heffer Dust, Greek Rub, Compitition Rub and Honey Rib Rub) are great. I wanted to use up what I had left of Baby Rays BBQ sauce before I cracked open the Rec Tec sauce so I haven't tried that yet. But will soon :)

I got a full set of the rubs/sauces as a consolation for having a problem with 1 leg on my Bull being without threaded holes and they overnighted me a new leg and the full sauce/rub set. I like them. i have already used up the honey Rib rub. The Freaking Greek and bloody mary rub are great on chicken wings. I continue to try different ones and have not purchased more from RT yet, but I may. the sauces are ok, but I prefer thicker molasses based sauces, so i have used the RT sauces (mild and Spicy) sparingly.

I got a full set of the rubs/sauces as a consolation for having a problem with 1 leg on my Bull being without threaded holes and they overnighted me a new leg and the full sauce/rub set. I like them. i have already used up the honey Rib rub. The Freaking Greek and bloody mary rub are great on chicken wings. I continue to try different ones and have not purchased more from RT yet, but I may. the sauces are ok, but I prefer thicker molasses based sauces, so i have used the RT sauces (mild and Spicy) sparingly.

Do you remember that old luggage commercial where they put a set of their luggage in a cage with a gorilla to use as a play toy to show how durable they are? That's what the box of my RT340 looked like when it was delivered, as if someone dropped it out of the truck going 60. Luckily the RT340 was just fine, it had a very small dent on the hood and was nothing to frawn upon. However, I did send Rec Tec pictures of the box and how it was delivered to let them know how their product is being treated because I know the box didn't leave Rec Tec that way. Anyway, they surprised me and sent me a set of 4 of the rubs and then after trying them, I ordered the whole set.

Thanks for the feedback, good to know! (y) I'm not much of a sauce person anyway and my wife has her go to (sweet baby rays) so I will have to give their rubs a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back