Pulled Pork for Party

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I am smoking two pork butts for a party on Saturday. My question is ...do I smoke the pork butts on Friday, let them rest, towel wrapped in a cooler, pull the meat, refrigerate, and reheat on Saturday? OR do I smoke the pork butts the night before having them come off sometime during the day of the party, store them whole, towel wrapped in a cooler to rest, and prior to serving, exit the party and pull the pork?

I do wrap my pork butts in butcher paper when the bark is set and the color I like. I don't tend to use foil for pork butts because I don't want to compromise the bark.

If it is suggested that I do this the day before and just reheat a tray of pulled pork the day of the party (which would obviously be so much easier), what method would you suggest for reheating?

I can store the pork in vacuum sealed bags and reheat using my sous vide, I could put it in a foil container and cover with foil and put in the oven (but I feel like that might compromise the texture of the bark), I could reheat it on the smoker. But if it's reheated on the smoker with foil that's no different than an oven.

Kind of confused here and would appreciate any advice people have had with reheating pork for a party.

The pulled pork is not the main event. I'm serving many other items as well.

Thanks so much!

I am smoking two pork butts for a party on Saturday. My question is ...do I smoke the pork butts on Friday, let them rest, towel wrapped in a cooler, pull the meat, refrigerate, and reheat on Saturday? OR do I smoke the pork butts the night before having them come off sometime during the day of the party, store them whole, towel wrapped in a cooler to rest, and prior to serving, exit the party and pull the pork?

I do wrap my pork butts in butcher paper when the bark is set and the color I like. I don't tend to use foil for pork butts because I don't want to compromise the bark.

If it is suggested that I do this the day before and just reheat a tray of pulled pork the day of the party (which would obviously be so much easier), what method would you suggest for reheating?

I can store the pork in vacuum sealed bags and reheat using my sous vide, I could put it in a foil container and cover with foil and put in the oven (but I feel like that might compromise the texture of the bark), I could reheat it on the smoker. But if it's reheated on the smoker with foil that's no different than an oven.

Kind of confused here and would appreciate any advice people have had with reheating pork for a party.

Thanks so much!
I would option 2 all day long. Pulled pork, like brisket, can hold a long time. I always do mine overnight for a party the next day, like you mentioned. Finish them that morning and I wrap in butcher paper, and then I do a light wrap with cling wrap, and then put them in my warming drawer at 160 degrees, and I pull when it’s close to time to eat.

Personally I have found the butcher paper with the wrap over it helps preserve bark a little better while the cling wrap helps keep the temp perfect for a long rest period.

Best advice I can give is don’t do what we all do, and stress over it. I guarantee any method will have people saying how fantastic it is. We are always our harshest critics

I have always done the cook overnight approach, then rest, and pull shortly before serving. My last big cook I was away from the house for most of the cook and was serving away from the house as well. I wrapped in butcher paper, then added a layer of sort of loose foil before wrapping in blankets in an ice chest for transport.

Of course you're already much smarter than me. I thought it would be fun to do an 18 lb brisket and a 22 lb full pork shoulder at the same time. I had to start the pork about 3 hours before the brisket to finish close to the same time.
IMG_1030.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m a cook the day before, let rest, shred in a hotel pan then foil it and put it in the fridge after it’s cooled and let it soak in the juices over night and then just reheat in the oven at 250 till warm. My wife actually says it tastes better after it’s sat overnight

re: Of course you're already much smarter than me. I thought it would be fun to do an 18 lb brisket and a 22 lb full pork shoulder at the same time.

Looks fine to me! What didn’t you like, other than a cook like this is hard on the nerves!

Looks fine to me! What didn’t you like, other than a cook like this is hard on the nerves!
I was 25 miles away during the first 9 - 12 hours of the cook fixated about getting home in time to wrap at 1:30 am. I had my head buried in my phone staring at the Thermoworks app for the last several hours before heading home. It all worked out though. I don't think I'll mix proteins again when I'm not within walking distance of my smoker.

I have always done the cook overnight approach, then rest, and pull shortly before serving. My last big cook I was away from the house for most of the cook and was serving away from the house as well. I wrapped in butcher paper, then added a layer of sort of loose foil before wrapping in blankets in an ice chest for transport.

Of course you're already much smarter than me. I thought it would be fun to do an 18 lb brisket and a 22 lb full pork shoulder at the same time. I had to start the pork about 3 hours before the brisket to finish close to the same time.
View attachment 17734
Now that’s a cook!

@BethV - what's on the menu since the pork is second fiddle (or less)?

BTW: I always pull when company is here. I leave it all piled on a huge cutting board for the initial serving on the island and if it's going to be a long day I excuse myself to shower and change so I smell different than the food.

BTW: I always pull when company is here. I leave it all piled on a huge cutting board for the initial serving on the island and if it's going to be a long day I excuse myself to shower and change so I smell different than the food.
it’s funny that you mention that, because I’ve never heard anyone say that before. Regardless of how many showers I’ve had the day of the cook, I never smell the cook on me. But if I attempt to put on the same clothes the next morning, I’m repulsed by the smell of it. So 👍🏻

it’s funny that you mention that, because I’ve never heard anyone say that before. Regardless of how many showers I’ve had the day of the cook, I never smell the cook on me. But if I attempt to put on the same clothes the next morning, I’m repulsed by the smell of it. So 👍🏻
I only got my Recteq this summer - so it hasn't always been pushbutton smoking for me. The barrel smoker gets to me the most. Sometimes the 1st shower doesn't even get all the smoke out. I love the smell - just not for the duration of the smoke + a party that lasts until a few hours before sunrise. And yes, fresh clothes are a must - even if you're going out there to start another smoke.

I have to add - I bet the people working the perfume counter don't smell all the wonderful scents they have going on themselves because their nose just shut out that smell from overdose.

@BethV - what's on the menu since the pork is second fiddle (or less)?

@SmokeOCD Here goes... Appetizers - Smoked Jalapeno Poppers, Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip, Pork Belly Burnt Ends. Dinner - Knockwurst, Bratwurst, Smoked Polish, Jalapeno Cheddar and Bacon Brats, pulled pork sandwiches, loaded baked beans, avocado, tomato and cucumber salad.

Beth, I like to do it a day ahead of a party, so I'm not rushed. There's always a lot of other things to do. Certain bbq meats take to reheating well. I think pulled pork is one.

I pull it and put it in a tray, cover and refrigerate. On party day, I boil some pork broth, add a liberal amount of the rub used on the butt, then pour it over the pulled pork before reheating. This is to keep it moist and to add some flavor. Not so much that it has liquid in the tray, but moist. I smoke it in the open tray to reheat. Add more broth as necessary. That's the way I do it. I like it and others seem to like the extra flavor from the rub and smoke reheat.

I think there are positives and negatives with either approach. However, there is nothing like the looks of the guests seeing a smoking hot pork butt coming off the grill and resting with all its flavors wafting through the air. Further, it makes for a great cocktail hour exhibit. Then, after a decent rest, having everyone gather around and watching their eyes as you unwrap their gift and pull the pork, reintroduce the fluids, and add the final seasonings. They will be carrying you around the village like the queen you deserve to be on their shoulders. After an event like that, you will also have many recruits that will look at you with admiration for showing them something many have never seen first hand. I actually use the pork pull as a teaching moment for those that are hesitant about getting elbow deep into the pork experience. No better conversation catalyst than having a bunch of people with their camera phones out sharing with their friends that coundn’t attend around the world, but I may be a little vain, haha. Always remember the art of BBQ is a participation sport.

Last edited:
@SmokeOCD Here goes... Appetizers - Smoked Jalapeno Poppers, Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip, Pork Belly Burnt Ends. Dinner - Knockwurst, Bratwurst, Smoked Polish, Jalapeno Cheddar and Bacon Brats, pulled pork sandwiches, loaded baked beans, avocado, tomato and cucumber salad.
Oooohhhhh! Beth, the Ferrari is revved up and ready to roll; address, please.

ferrari GIF

I am going to vote for the day before. The main reason is that I find vacuum sealing really seems to amp up the flavor of the meat. But, as someone noted, it won’t look as impressive as opening it up in front of the guests. Plus, it will let you focus on getting all of the accompanying items ready.

I am going to vote for the day before. The main reason is that I find vacuum sealing really seems to amp up the flavor of the meat. But, as someone noted, it won’t look as impressive as opening it up in front of the guests. Plus, it will let you focus on getting all of the accompanying items ready.
Whilel I like the idea, I don't plan on showing it to the guests before pulling. Not for this particular party. At this point it's too late for me to start the roasts so I think I will put it on at about 9:00 tonight and take it off when it gets done resting for a couple of hours tomorrow. Pull it, and reheat on the smoker.

I truly appreciate everyone's input as always. Great information here all the time. Thank you!

Thanks so much!
I’d do it the same day. I always do the ultimate bark pulled pork so a 12lb butt takes roughly 4hrs till done.

The party pulled off great. The pork belly burnt ends were a big hit. Regarding the 2 butts, I started them at 9:00 pm and they were probe tender at 1:00 the next day. I kept them in the cooler wrapped in peach paper and towels for about 2 hours. I pulled the pork then and it was so tender and good.

I covered it lightly with foil and refrigerated it for a couple of hours. Then into a 150F oven to warm. People loved it, but having tasted it first pulled and after reheated, I will pull and serve next time. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to pull each roast. And it wasn't messy. It was a good lesson to learn.

I sure appreciate everyone's advice and comments!

@BethV and all
I am finally cooking pork belly next weekend. I am curious on how you did yours since it sounds like it was a hit.
So I have been watching and reading and my questions to the group are?
Cube first or cook whole then cube?
I have seen some say that cubing first can make them salty.
Has anyone cooked asian style? Just saw a video mad scientist did, interesting.
It also seems as though cooking times and temps vary wildly.
I have plenty of time and no party, just cooking for the wife and I but if it turns out good, will cook some for the holidays.
Any thoughts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back