Question from new ReqTeq owner

BobbyTexx

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Just got a 410 for fathers day and did my first cook of pork spareribs. Set the smoker at 250 and set prepped ribs in bone side down. After 2 hours I had a look and the bone side was quite charred. Ribs tasted ok but overall a little over done. Next time I will try 225 instead, but is that unusual with the ReqTeq....my old electric smoker wouldn't have charred them like that.

What Okie said. Most of us have a 3rd party Wi-Fi grill temp probe, we check with that against what the RT‘s temp says.

Yes, something is suspect here. One of the standard rib cooks is about 6 hours at 225F (3-2-1 method), so things shouldn’t be charring at 250F after just 2 hours. You do need to check your actual temp And that’s why many of us have independent temperature measuring devices in our arsenal. It may be that your 410 temp sensor needs recalibrating.

Postscript: sorry for the duplication of @padlin00 ’s advice on a 3rd party grill temp probe; we must have hit the send button at about the same time.

I do ribs at 240 for their 4.5 to 5 hour entire cook, so yeah something is off about the OP's grill temps or perhaps we aren't getting the entire scenario?

Your temp must be fairly off for that to happen. I cook my ribs at 250 all the time the whole cook. I don't wrap but I usually let them go 2 to 3 hours until the rub has really set in and you can see the skin drying out but no way charred at all. After that, I spray with apple juice every 30 to hour the rest of the way. I think leaving ribs unwrapped on pellet grills is the way to go b/c you don't get the heavy smoke you would get on an offset or weber, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back