Stampede Rage Against the Storm

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
So it's 5:00 a.m. Pacific and I imagine hurricane Hillary will be hitting us later in the day. So I took this opportunity to use up my pellets before they soak up any moisture from the high relative humidity we are going to have. I always leave lots of pellets in my Hopper because here in the desert they just never get damp. However, today could be an exception, so I will have them pretty much all burned up before this cook is through. Just a few baby backs. And those beef ribs are going into beef and barley soup I'm going to make later on today or tomorrow. I used mayonnaise as a binder for the first time. I'm wondering if it will leave a flavor or a taste. I know mustard doesn't because I've always used it.
IMG_20230820_045615_01.jpg

^^^^^^^^
Sounds like a good plan and ribs are looking good. Good luck to you guys out there.

Thanks, we might need some luck. We are right at the top of the towns flood zone. Nothing behind us but BLM land here, just west of the spring mountains which fall between Las Vegas and our town, pahrump. Still, I'm not terribly concerned as we're at very nearly the highest point in town, 100 ft or so above the valley where most of the population lives.

Yikes! I just heard that Southern California had a 5.1 magnitude earthquake this afternoon as Hurricane Hillary was starting to douse the area with heavy rain. Hope are all OK down that way.

Yikes! I just heard that Southern California had a 5.1 magnitude earthquake this afternoon as Hurricane Hillary was starting to douse the area with heavy rain. Hope are all OK down that way.
I'm down about 7-8 miles south of LAX along the coast. We got a cell phone text alert on the quake about 30 seconds before it hit. Just felt a little shake. Barely.

It started raining about 7 am half heartedly. By around 8 it was light rain. It wasn't until well after noon until it was moderate rain. It never really came down hard here. But up by the mountain bases where Beth is, it surely is dumping.

Our daughter and 4 grandkids and husband are near San Juan Cap. She texted us a few hours ago about it. It was north of LA or in northern LA. she didn't feel it. But they've been there many years and doesn't notice small shakes. When they lived in Corona del Mar there was one that scared her, but she was pretty new to California then.

So it's 5:00 a.m. Pacific and I imagine hurricane Hillary will be hitting us later in the day. So I took this opportunity to use up my pellets before they soak up any moisture from the high relative humidity we are going to have. I always leave lots of pellets in my Hopper because here in the desert they just never get damp. However, today could be an exception, so I will have them pretty much all burned up before this cook is through. Just a few baby backs. And those beef ribs are going into beef and barley soup I'm going to make later on today or tomorrow. I used mayonnaise as a binder for the first time. I'm wondering if it will leave a flavor or a taste. I know mustard doesn't because I've always used it.
View attachment 19891
Hope you guys stayed safe. Good excuse to use up pellets. Lol.
FYI, I live in south Louisiana and the relative humidity is over 80% for most of the year, plus see hurricanes all the time. I leave my pellets out in my grill all the time and I’ve never had an issue.

Hope you guys stayed safe. Good excuse to use up pellets. Lol.
FYI, I live in south Louisiana and the relative humidity is over 80% for most of the year, plus see hurricanes all the time. I leave my pellets out in my grill all the time and I’ve never had an issue.
Oops! I just told somebody if I lived in a high humidity area I would probably remove pellets before a rain. My bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back